Wheee! Highlight of the day

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Well, I never...

If you have come across my posts regarding my wife Jan, you will know that I visit her six days a week, and the visits are difficult because she has been registered blind, she can only [just] crawl, and her speech has gone. I'm really inclined to think she no longer knows me, except as someone who visits regularly, and gives her their time.

And yet...

Last Friday, Jan had a major fit and for a short while, the care home thought they had lost her.

This is not the first fit she has had, although it is the first since she has been in care. When she had them while at home, they were alarming, but the normal thing would be for her to be - for a short while after - a lot brighter in speech and persona, before dropping another level. The fits apparently move blood into unused parts of the brain and can cause them to work for a short while, enhancing the condition of the patient.

Well, on Saturday, Jan was indeed a bit brighter, and this has continued.

Today when I arrived, I said to her "It's Bruce come to see you!".

Her reply:- a wolf whistle and "wow!", followed by a really good hour with her trying, much harder than she is usually able, to converse.

Now I'm not going to pretend that she may have been taking the mickey out of this person who visits her, but I'm going to assume that somewhere inside, she knew it was me.

If that ain't a highlight, then I don't know what is!

C

Chesca

Dear Bruce

Didn't I somewhere along the line make a resolution to post here each day. So I'm unrealiable.

I believe Jan did know it was you, through some comfortable familiar recall. She didn't appear to know who I was at all the other day when visiting Mum: once she had had her daily treat, she upped and left her room without a bye your leave or a glance in a backward direction, closing the door behind her. Charming, said I, laughing my socks off and within seconds she opened the door and she was laughing with a familiar naughty glint in her eye, the mischief she used to show when she thought she had got one over on us. My imagination?

Brilliant highlight to your day...and may there be more.

Lotsa...
Chesca

Kriss

May 20, 2004
Shropshire
Promotion?

I'm not sure how to take this (not even sure when it happened) but I appear to have received a promotion to a "senior member"!

Wow - could it be my age? or is it I just rattle on a lot? So long as its not a reference to the "senior moments" I have that seem to be on the increase!

I'm honoured!

Kriss

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Kriss,

It's all down to the amount of posts you've made and a recognition that you have given a lot of time and input into TP. Not anything to do with your age or 'senior moments'! I like that phrase, but I do hope I don't have too many of them.

Jude

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Operation 'Ollie'

There haven't been a lot of highlights here lately, but tonight there was a definite.

Mum and Dad sitting on the lounge with the new kitten stretched out between them both, purring his head off....

Both parents acting like 'automatic patting machines' and taking turns in cuddling him. I'm happy. Ollie is in seventh heaven.

Jude xxx

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Kriss
you have hit the 100 posts,hence your elevation to senior.
Don't ask me why,if you want more detail ask Nada
Best wishes
Norman

Nutty Nan

Nov 2, 2003
Buckinghamshire
Memory Walk

We took part in the Alz Memory Walk in Buckinghamshire this morning - wonderful, peaceful scenery, and towards the end the sun came out. Great!
My husband (who has AD) referred to the balloons and sashes, and because I didn't particularly feel like getting involved in explaining the 'Alzheimer' bit, I just said "It's called a Memory Walk". His reply: All walks are memory walks, otherwise you're in trouble!
A moment to treasure.

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Carmen,

Now that is a WONDERFUL piece of wisdom. Why don't you send it to the Events Team? I'm so pleased that you had a very enjoyable walk.

Best wishes,

Jude

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Great Value Home Appliances

I was just going through my list of TP posts and opened one with the above title. Aha, I thought - Good Oh, this must be one of Chesca's cryptic posts. Laughed like mad when I realised it was only a boring old email from Argos. Very disappointing really.....

Jude

C

Chesca

Norm!

I've been hitting 'posts' since I started drinking gin! The only promotion I got was to the top 100 of the local A&E high risk register and a couple of lumps on my forehead. Wish I'd known.

Loadsa
Chesca

C

Chesca

Appliances! Nudge Nudge

Argos? Argos?

Jude, My home 'appliances' are not delivered via Argos, if you please! I have a reputation to maintain (albeit disreputable). There is not a package delivered to my portal that is not enwrapped in a 'plain brown envelope'. If you don't mind, you could just have damaged my monthly commission from Fredericks of Hollywood (Delivered in plain brown envelope). God, is there no privacy!

Outraged of the Mall
Chesca

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Chesca,

Silly old me...!! I didn't realise it was from Argos until I opened it. I figured it was a post regarding your progress with your new kitchen refurbishment. I've written to FOH to apologise and ask them to reinstate the 'parcels'.

Jude

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Blimey, just looked up Fredericks of Hollywood on Google.

Girls, really!

Can't wait for you to post YOUR pictures on TP!

storm

Aug 10, 2004
notts
Hi all,will you all behave i have a quip for you.
A woman is like a teabag.You never know how strong she is until you put her in hot water. storm

C

Chesca

Jude, what do you mean, Dream on....

I have the photographers here now and am fluffing my pom poms in readiness. And in thanks for putting matters right with Fred, your portfolio photos will be taken free of charge.

See you in the glossies
Chesca

Margarhett

Apr 30, 2004
Manchester
I was delighted yesterday to pick up my brand new mobility car, and today I got to go out in it for the first time and it's wonderful. I have a Toyota Yaris.
Now when my husband is at the day centre I can go out and enjoy my life, as well as taking him out.

Nel

Mar 24, 2004
warrington
Hi All

The highlight of my day was last Tuesday, Dad had his 12 week review after moving into full nursing care. If was great, he looks so much better, putting on weight, is relaxed and smiley. Did my heart good and I walked out for the first time feeling as okay as I could be knowing he's got the best I can give. I always say I love you as I'm leaving, this time he held my hand and replied 'I Know' then he was gone again. Those little moments feel so good!

It's all down to the great and loving care the RMN's and care staff and the way they look after his individual needs.

Got a lump in my throat now, but my heart feels full of love.

Just wanted to post something positive as I am usually on a downer about AD .

Hope everyone out there is well.

Love
Nell

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anne Paterson