Wheee! Highlight of the day

Patrick

Apr 9, 2005
Swindon Wiltshire
Dear Geoff

I know the feeling only too well. My Jenny tells me a hundred times a day "I love you" I replied to her as usual yesterday with " I know you do" then she said " yes but I love you twice to-day" I couldnt answer that.

Patrick

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Dear Geoff, got a big lump in my throat reading your post, so pleased you have that memory to treasure, they mean so much within the wilderness we now have. Love She. XX :)

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Geoff,

Those small moments are just so wonderful.....

Last year when I got home from Bali, I arrived at around 7.30am when my father was shaving in the bathroom. When I was a child I used to sit in the bathroom and watch him shave - I found it quite fascinating for some reason and we used to have some brilliant conversations when he was covered in foam.

So this time, I just strolled in and said 'Hi Dad'. He dropped his razor and screamed 'JUDITH" and we both got covered in shaving soap and water in the most amazing hugs and kisses. It was just so utterly brilliant because I'd caught him on the hop and he knew who I was - before his brain kicked in and muddled his thinking. We both ended up in tears and had one of those unforgettable moments where we both knew who we were and who was related to whom, etc..

I'm planning another one of those meetings in about 3 week's time. I do hope that it works.

Treasure those moments. They can be few and far between, but you can see them in the camera in your mind forever. They are permanent memories and fixed for all time and although photographs fade after a while, those wonderful snapshots never seem to lose their clarity.

Jude

Jude

Nutty Nan

Nov 2, 2003
Buckinghamshire
Who's there?

Tony has been unable to recognise his own mirror image for some time now, although his reaction is not always the same. I have sewn covers for most of the mirrors, and the covers are left on in the bedroom and bathroom, because that is where he feels as though someone is spying on him and intruding in his private sphere!
Problem is: this makes shaving completely impossible (he rarely manages it, although he gets upset about his growth of beard). That’s why I decided yesterday morning to leave the cover off in the bathroom, just in case.
Later, when I was busy in the kitchen, Tony suddenly came back from using the bathroom, very agitated: “that stupid bloke who insists in watching me up there. I felt like punching him, but he looks like an old bloke, and you couldn’t hit an old bloke, could you?!” – I agreed with him, of course!
;)

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Peg has been awful this week,aggressive awkward and nasty to me.
WE have had the going home,sudowning each evening worse than ever.
I think I have cracked it!!!!!!
I played a video of the three tenors at a concert in Rome 1990,the change was fantastic,
Peg was her old self,why didn't I think of that before,never mind,I think there will be quite a few videos played in the future.
Lets hope it lasts
Norman :)

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Yes, we found videos and music soothing. In particular, Indiana Jones kept Mum enthralled one Sunday afternoon all the way through, amazing! She wasn't following the plot, but the excitement of the chase and the stunts, she just sat and sat. I got ALL the ironing done, no mean feat!! Love She. XX :)

Katy44

Sep 14, 2004
You may remember a while back I was worried because my Grandma was about to be sectioned and I didn't know what to expect. In the end she agreed to go to hospital.
Well apparently over the past couple of days while the weather has been lovely they have all been sitting outside enjoying the sun! That was certainly not what I expected!

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Ya have to fool yourself

There comes a stage when all you can do is try and interpret what the person with dementia is saying or doing, and why not err on the happy side?

Today I was wrestling on the floor with Jan as usual and she was particularly talkative - really trying to say things, but not making any sense to me, never able to look at me because her brain usually can't work her eyes any more.

I said to her "Love, are you trying to get back to me?" and she looked straight at me and said "oh Yes!" and smiled. Then it was gone again.

Coincidence?

Nothing's going to persuade me of that.

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Oh Brucie, I want to say how wonderful to have that moment, then I feel so sad for you, thinking of you, sending you a big hug, wish it could be OK again for you and Jan, you lost the essence of her so very young. I really hate this disease, love She. XX

snuffyuk

Jul 8, 2004
Near Bristol
good/bad day

Hello to all

Since my mum died I have good and bad days. Good days are no tears. Bad days are tears. Bad/good days are people stopping me in the street to express their sadness re mums death. That leads to my bad days and tears but the good/bad days should be good days as it is good to know people care..
snuffy

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Dear Snuffy, what a brilliant description, know just what you mean. Still get them, only difference now is that although the tears prick at my eyes, they don't always fall. I find certain landmarks in the year hard too, like this Sunday, it will be Mum's birthday the first ever that I cannot share with her, OK I shall take flowers to the cemetry, but we can't share the cake and have a sherry. Thinking of you, love She. XX

Nutty Nan

Nov 2, 2003
Buckinghamshire
Still in there - somewhere / sometime

I feel so good tonight!
I have been getting used to the fact that my husband doesn't remember my name, and often doesn't recognise who I am. But tonight, while trying to draw him into conversation over dinner, I said "that's tasty, isn't it". He put his hand on my arm, looked straight at me, and said "you are the tasty one here!" - He was flirting, and as I was the only other person in the room. I allowed myself to be transported back several years, and my heart skipped a beat.
I hope he knows how much I love him!

katieberesford

May 5, 2005
south wales
Hi Nutty Nan

Memories to treasure Nutty Nan. I am sure he does know how much you love him and how special he is to you.

Hang on to these memories, keep them close to you heart during the not so good times.

Katiex

LindseyN

Aug 18, 2005
My laptop broke down recently and pictures I had taken of my children (one of whom was just born) with Grandad were on there, just before he got so ill...I hadn't backed them up on the PC.
We sent it away to be fixed - fearing the worse and a loss of all the data... and it came back with DATA INTACT!!! I really thought they were all gone and I got them back...
I was extremely pleased as these were irreplaceable! GREAT NEWS!

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Hi Lindsey, what a relief for you! now, for goodness sakes, get it backed up onto a disc please. (Course we'd love to take a peek at the pics here on TP too if you could show us.) Lotsaluv, She. XX

jc141265

Sep 16, 2005
Australia
Highlight

I snuck my Dad some jelly babies into the home he now lives in, but I wasn't sure if he'd like them. So I put one up to his mouth (because he can't feed himself anymore) and he ate it...chew,...chew....chew,chew,chew...and then he says 'Nuther one'...the first words I've heard in a week!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anne Paterson