Wheee! Highlight of the day

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
He deserved his lovely tea and I hope he has sweet dreams.

My three won't touch smoked salmon. They like the spartan diet of pouches and dried food!! Fools!!!

xxTinaT

julieann15

Jun 13, 2008
Leicestershire
A mouse in the house

Hi Ella
I am hoping that my cat,Jonah and Ian's cat,Spot have had the mouse for tea tonight that one of them kindly brought into the house yesterday and has been resident under the sink cupboard. never known both of them sit so still for so long:D:D
They can have smoked salmon when they have caught it- until then they are on half rations of catfood to encourage them to catch it!

Lovely story about H- thanks for sharing it with us all

Julie xx

ChrisH

Apr 16, 2008
Devon, England
What's the time?

Whilst sorting out my mum's paperwork in order to fill in various forms I came across a discrepancy with her phone bill. There was 1 bill from BT and another from a different company, both dated Dec '08. The BT one was for line rental as I'd expected, but there was an amount of £15+ for 60 calls (not listed separately). The other bill was all for a similar number of calls costing a total of just over £4.

I first thought that mum had had a sales call at some time from the other company and had happily signed up to the idea of 'cheaper calls' and that somehow the change had not been notified to BT. But I was wrong. It turned out that all 60 calls had been made to the same number that can't be accessed via the other company. That number was 123 - the speaking clock.:D:D

I thought that was quite clever of her to remember that there was such a thing and to remember the number as well. She did have a habit of putting her watch on upside down sometimes and I suppose if the alleged time didn't quite correspond to her perceived time of day she'd decide to check on the phone.

Chris

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Out of nowhere - it makes sense

Today I went to feed Mum her lunch as usual. One of her caregivers told me what Mum had said to her that morning.

Now, Mum is wheelchair-bound, doubly incontinent, and has a fairly limited vocabulary. She does a lot of repetition of "da da da da da da". She might say "Right" or "Yes" or come out with a half sentence that doesn't make sense. Bear this in mind.

Nadine was washing Mum in the delicate area. Mum looked her straight in the eye & said "Pervert!" and laughed. That cracked me up. Mum was back, if only for a minute.

weeze

Oct 4, 2006
nottingham
I've decided to do the "masai volcano trek" in october to 2010 to raise money for the Alzheimers Society and it feel fantastic to be doing something to help as most of the time with this horrid disease you feel so useless.
I know I've got lots of work ahead of me training and fundraising but ut feels good to be actively doing something!

carrie99

Apr 26, 2009
Yorkshire
A lovely evening!

Still coming to terms with my recent Alzheimer's diagnosis at age 52, but this evening was beautiful, we watched the sunset's progress and, aided by a glass of wine (!), counted our blessings.

At times like this, the simple things really are the best.

Let's hope they continue

Carrie

Vonny

Feb 3, 2009
Telford
Dear Carrie, may you have many, many more moments like this.

One thing this disease does is put our priorities into perspective and let us be able to gain pleasure from the simple, but best, things in life

Vonny xxx

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Whilst driving Ken in the car he said 'I love you'. Normally he only responds when I say it first. This came out of the blue and I was so pleased.

xxTinaT

ROSEANN

Oct 1, 2006
staffordshire
Tina
This afternoon my husband asked me if I would marry him,
We have been married for 40 years!

When I told him we were married he said well do you want to divorce me?

They keep us on ours toes don`t they?
Love Roseann x

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Ha Ha Roseanne, I've had that as well!! Ken often asks me to marry him. When I say 'yes' his face lights up. Then I tell him we are already married - but he hasn't the wonderful, witty response your husband gave you. How funny! Isn't it wonderful that they can still cheer us up at times?

My cousin phoned me tonight. She is going through chemotherapy for cancer and was feeling low. She made me laugh so many times during the phone call. She had phoned me as she needed cheering up but ended up by being so funny that she had us both chortling away over the phone.

An example from her here but I don't think it is as funny just writing it:

Cousin: 'I phoned the doctors up yesterday to make an appointment. The receptionist offered me one at 7.00am.'
'7.00am!' I screamed.
'I'm a pensioner!'
I can't get myself off the bed before half past nine.'

Receptionist Well, I can give you an appointment with Dr ~~~~ at 4 in the afternoon'.

Cousin 'Who? Never heard of him!'

Receptionist 'He's new to the practice.'

Cousin 'Well I don't want no newly qualified doctor practicing on me. I don't want him'

Eventually the receptionist gave her a suitable time, with a doctor she approved of. She must be every receptionist's nightmare patient!!

Then she told me about her ex boyfriend (she is 64) who split up with her when he found out about her cancer!

CousinDid you know I've got a plot on the moon?'

Me What do you mean?'

Cousin 'Well ****ock face bought me a plot on the moon for my birthday last year! It has a crater at the edge of the plot so I'll use that for the swimming pool'

She is such a wonderful person. In the middle of feeling so rotten and fighting such a frightening and horrid disease - she can make me roll about laughing. Good on her!!

xxTinaT

xxTinaT

Last edited:

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Well done, Deborah!

Congratulations, Deborah!

The ether will be a lot safer now for all of us, so you go full speed ahead.

Hold onto my Gold Star - if you're now going for the Advanced course, that is. Then I can have two gold stars!

Well done!

:) :) :)

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
My cousin phoned me tonight. She is going through chemotherapy for cancer and was feeling low. She made me laugh so many times during the phone call. She had phoned me as she needed cheering up but ended up by being so funny that she had us both chortling away over the phone.

An example from her here but I don't think it is as funny just writing it:

Cousin: 'I phoned the doctors up yesterday to make an appointment. The receptionist offered me one at 7.00am.'
'7.00am!' I screamed.
'I'm a pensioner!'
I can't get myself off the bed before half past nine.'

Receptionist Well, I can give you an appointment with Dr ~~~~ at 4 in the afternoon'.

Cousin 'Who? Never heard of him!'

Receptionist 'He's new to the practice.'

Cousin 'Well I don't want no newly qualified doctor practicing on me. I don't want him'

Eventually the receptionist gave her a suitable time, with a doctor she approved of. She must be every receptionist's nightmare patient!!

Then she told me about her ex boyfriend (she is 64) who split up with her when he found out about her cancer!

CousinDid you know I've got a plot on the moon?'

Me What do you mean?'

Cousin 'Well ****ock face bought me a plot on the moon for my birthday last year! It has a crater at the edge of the plot so I'll use that for the swimming pool'

She is such a wonderful person. In the middle of feeling so rotten and fighting such a frightening and horrid disease - she can make me roll about laughing. Good on her!!

xxTinaT

xxTinaT

Tina, this post, particularly about the swimming pool on the moon had me shedding tears of laughter. How is your cousin now?
Kind regards, Deborah

larivy

Apr 19, 2009
essex
my highlight

hi all im new to this i look after my mum. my highlight was when my 4yr old grt niece asked where my dad was when i said his in heaven she said do you go and see him sometimes::)

browbeaten

Jul 30, 2009
Highlight of my day

This may seem early to have already had a highlight but last night I was despairing as to whether I should continue trying to get my thoughts across to my siblings before they browbeat me into submission. I decided to arm myself with information and gather my thoughts for the next try. In the early hours I looked through this forum and realised how lucky we are that Mam doesn't yet have the problems that other people are coping with and we can really make the most of her more good than bad days. Got some really helpful and inspirational thoughts and experience from you all and now I am filled with renewed vigour, pep vim and, more importantly, hope! We can do it as long as we are able and there is no shame in letting go when the time comes. Hoorah!!
:D

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I discovered today that Bill knows his postcode!! Somebody asked for it on the phone and he trotted it out. I asked him later what our postcode was and he got it right again!!!!:):)