What's your experience of memory span in late mixed dementia plse?

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Lyn T - my Mum had a small stroke 3 years ago which affected the speech centre. As a result she has expressive dysphasia. This is very separate from her increasing confusion. The dysphasia makes it very difficult to find the correct words but she knows the meaning of what she is trying to say.

When I saw her last she wanted to buy "A ticket" which turned out to be a stamp to put on the envelope she showed me. That was down to her dysphasia. The fact that the envelope was addressed to herself was a result of her confusion.

Does that answer your question- or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

AlsoConfused - I wish you success in your quest.

Slugsta-thank you. I think that example is great. You have the RIGHT end of the stick:)

Alsoconfused; by the time Pete was assessed for CHC he could only speak a couple of distinguishable words on a day to day basis. If your Mum can say words that can be recognised her communication MAY not be considered to be an such an issue. I would suggest that when the next stage is started (the assessment) you ask the chair of the meeting to speak to your Mum (he/she should do that anyway). See if she can be understood. If not-there's your proof.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Dave couldn't find the right words for ages, even when his dementia wasn't bad. By the time he was in the nursing home, he could no longer even answer yes and no appropriately and certainly couldn't make his needs and wants known to anyone.
His face would be screwed up in pain but if the nurse asked him if he was in pain, he'd say no so didn't get the pain relief he so needed.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Saffie, I remember one Bank Holiday (it's always a BH or a weekend isn't it?). 111 was called out as Pete was doing the same as you have described; the on call Doctor asked Pete if he was in pain, Pete answered 'no' then 'yes'. Dr told me he had accepted 'no':confused::confused::mad: It took a threat from me to name and shame him if it was proven that Pete had a UTI (of course he did) before I got a prescription for AB's and pain relief.:confused:

I digress;)

Alsoconfused, can you post what 'evidence' was given as to why your Mum had a 'B' for communication? (Don't name names)

Misstep

Oct 7, 2015
South Wales
Memory and mixed dementia

My Mum's got mixed dementia (middle stage). In her case, she varies enormously from day to day. I was recently told that she has capacity to make her own decisions, despite her decisions on a single subject changing at least daily from one extreme to another. I have to try to gauge her cognition on a day by day basis - she goes in roughly 3 day cycles, but it isn't consistent even with that. Doctors see her on occasional days. Trust your instincts and knowledge of her.

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
Hi misstep

It must be so hard dealing with extreme swings in competence.

Our situation is a lot easier. Mum's fairly consistent now, unless there's an obvious reason for her not to be (eg she's tired).