What's there, when there appears to be nothing left ...

Dosey

Nov 27, 2017
So sorry for your loss Geraldine you were one of the first to reply to me in my hour of need. You gave Keith your devoted love to the end. You helped so many on here and also at Keith’s care home. Yes it is such a cruel disease. Be kind to yourself. Take great comfort from your strength and kindness to everyone. Please take some time for yourself before you decide what to do next. You will be sadly missed here too. Maybe in the future you will return here and support us all. Sending my love Rose xx

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Many thanks to all of you for your understanding, especially Geraldine who is suffering recent loss but found it in her heart to respond.
That's the thing I love about TP, you can speak freely about your emotions knowing no one will judge you. I'm feeling a bit brighter now thanks to being able to offload to you all.
Everyone understands on here, not always so off TP. So that is what I love on here too. Take care of yourself. Xxx

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
I was sorry to read of Keith's passing @kindred , now he is at peace.
Now you have to think of yourself. You may find that staying with TP helps you, or you may find that it doesn't. It needs to be about you now and only you will know what is best to do. We will miss your knowledge and helpful posts if you decide not to, but as I said you need to think about you now.

Juliematch

Jun 24, 2017
So sorry to hear of your loss.Thinking of you and thanking you for all your help and advice you’ve given us on TP .The Love And compassion you have was felt in every post. Please Take care of yourself.

vmmh

Jun 25, 2018
Dear Kindred,
I am so sorry to learn of the loss of your beloved Keith, blue eyed boy. Please take some time for yourself but remember we are all here anytime you wish to return. You have been an inspiration to the many people here in need of comfort and strength. Never forget how much he loved you and I do believe he is in a better place now and finally unencumbered by this horrible disease any longer. I hope my husband will join him soon and they can keep an eye on us from above.
With love always

Last edited:

Unhappy15

Feb 7, 2015
Thank you, all of you with all my heart and soul. What wondrous support.
Keith died on Friday afternoon. His ordeal with dementia is over, thank God. The Nursing Home were wondrous in their kindness, love and care.
He could not go on living like that. Even though I can no longer stroke his arm, I would not want him alive like that.
What shall I do about Talking Point? Do I leave it now or what? I love my friends on here, but what is the best way to help and serve you?
with love and best, Kindred aka Geraldinexxxx

Dearest Geraldine,
Thinking of you so much and your loss, you put into words situations that touched so many of us.
Much love to you.
Kathy xxxx

rhubarbtree

Jan 7, 2015
North West
Dear Geraldine,

So sorry to read that you have lost your Blue Eyed Boy. You have put so much effort into making his life as comfortable as possible in such trying circumstances. Look after yourself now and come back when you feel able to help us all along on this awful journey. Personally, I have always been uplifted by your cheerful spirit.

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Guys, thank you with all my heart for your wonderful thoughts, poems and experiences. Wondrous support, truly wondrous.
How can I help you again? I mean, I can do a thread about life now etc but would it help anyone?
all my love, Kindred, aka Geraldinexxx

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Guys, thank you with all my heart for your wonderful thoughts, poems and experiences. Wondrous support, truly wondrous.
How can I help you again? I mean, I can do a thread about life now etc but would it help anyone?

Just my thoughts

You could start a new thread if that’s what you feel you want to do. I’m sure your words would help someone, but hopefully more importantly help you first

You could just be a listening ear to others posting threads

I’m getting the feeling that you are maybe feeling that you could be at a loose end so are trying to find “fill the time” for the future

You will find what’s the right thing for you to do, whatever it is, but try not to rush. Take time for YOU even if it’s obviously difficult to do. I do know xxxx

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Just my thoughts

You could start a new thread if that’s what you feel you want to do. I’m sure your words would help someone, but hopefully more importantly help you first

You could just be a listening ear to others posting threads

I’m getting the feeling that you are maybe feeling that you could be at a loose end so are trying to find “fill the time” for the future

You will find what’s the right thing for you to do, whatever it is, but try not to rush. Take time for YOU even if it’s obviously difficult to do. I do know xxxx
Thank you. I know I'm hard to understand, know that, but I believe we, I have an imperative to help and support and use my experience and skills in all useful ways. Being socially useful is who I am. Never, I mean this, been at a loose end in my life! Found that a bit insulting me have to say.
Gx

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
Dear Geraldine, I am so sorry to hear your sad news.
I hope you do stay on Talking Point, I am sure you will continue to be a great support to others here.
Best wishes
x

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Oh Geraldine, Im so sorry.
My OH has not been well (nothing like Keith) and I have missed this news. Although Im very late, Id like to add my condolences as well
xx

As to starting a new thread - many people have done this. Do whatever you think will be most helpful to you.

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Never ever meant to insult @kindred

Please forgive my words that were meant to be supportive.

I do apologise
And I apologise for being so Flipping touchy!! At some point I would like to feed in my experience of being assessed for CHC, which we were four days before Keith died and there was to be a successful outcome. I gained a few useful insights to pass on to folk on TP.
Things like that really. Plus coping with grief which threatens to bring me to a paralysed halt at same time as all the official stuff, practical things I am finding helpful.
Love and best, I came back on because I was so missing my mates on here!
Geraldinexxx

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
Your posts have always been informative and helpful, and I'm sure if you keep with us on here you will continue to help. You've been through so much, a lot of which some of us will also have to go through. You're also a very good writer and I've always found your posts easy to read and understand.
It's been said in the past that contact with people on TP is good because we all understand what each and every one of us is going through. Whereas family members don't always understand what life is like now. So we are, in a way, like a family. So although you are now going through another stage, you are still part of the family.

Platinum

Nov 7, 2017
South east
And I apologise for being so Flipping touchy!! At some point I would like to feed in my experience of being assessed for CHC, which we were four days before Keith died and there was to be a successful outcome. I gained a few useful insights to pass on to folk on TP.
Things like that really. Plus coping with grief which threatens to bring me to a paralysed halt at same time as all the official stuff, practical things I am finding helpful.
Love and best, I came back on because I was so missing my mates on here!
Geraldinexxx
I am so sorry to hear about Keith. You grief must be intense but I hope you will take comfort from knowing you did everything you could and were never found wanting. You have the caring gene and I think Keith’s nursing home will miss you so much. Or perhaps you will continue to visit? I expect it’s difficult for you to sort your feelings at the moment. Any wise words from you will always be welcome on any subject especially those tricky processes like CHC. Your experience has been wide reaching and you have shared it in a delightful way on here. I hope you will continue to contribute but whatever you decide I know you will be doing something positive somewhere.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
I am pleased you missed us just as we missed you.
Yawning so will look in again, been dashing around walking stick and all to sort care on possible discharge.
Husband went to A&E, so I am imitating a dervish on speed! Just fell asleep on IPad, well not literally iPad was on lap if you see what I mean. Pleased you are back, meaning is all. Xxx

Toony Oony

Jun 21, 2016
Missed you and have been thinking of you @kindred.

You are well-known here on TP and well-loved, so you do whatever you want to do! You have the happy knack of being able to transmit your warmth and caring through written words - quite a skill - so I reckon that if you just have a read on here, you will not be able to help but share that warmth and wisdom again.

Take one day at a time though, and treat yourself gently.
Much love to you and your family
X

summerlily1234

Jun 29, 2019
Dear Sue,
I'm so sorry you have had such a dreadful time. I know what the shock is like when you are faced with the reality of the situation. I never ever think of my husband as he is now, in my mind he is as I met him when he was 45 and a larger than life character.
I too visit every day and like your husband mine no longer speaks.
You are so right when you talk about the torment we all live through on this long and painful journey but the only thing that helps is the kindness, friendship and understanding of all on TP. Without TP where else could we find someone who knows what we go through.
Stay strong Sue .
Kathy
Sorry for late reply

It helps to know that the struggle we have every day we are not on our own. Depression kicks in, and i dont know if its just me but i feel my friends and my small family just dont understand, it seems like im expected to carry on with my life now he is in the home, its like they think everything is ok now? I miss having him to share the depression which i have suffered with before he got ill , people say it is what it is! I know that but i still dont know how to handle this situation. He fell asleep when i was feeding him yesterday, every day your never sure what to expect. I want to set him free also, but i also want him here with me . Thanks for the support x

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Sorry for late reply

It helps to know that the struggle we have every day we are not on our own. Depression kicks in, and i dont know if its just me but i feel my friends and my small family just dont understand, it seems like im expected to carry on with my life now he is in the home, its like they think everything is ok now? I miss having him to share the depression which i have suffered with before he got ill , people say it is what it is! I know that but i still dont know how to handle this situation. He fell asleep when i was feeding him yesterday, every day your never sure what to expect. I want to set him free also, but i also want him here with me . Thanks for the support x
Sweetheart, thank you for this message. I am so sorry to hear about your depression. You say that you are expected to carry on with your life and everything is OK now. One of the HUGE things that helped me is the fact that the carers where Keith was are from different cultures, Polish and African mainly. They all honoured what I was doing, being with Keith every day, because to them it was what a good wife would do. BUT friends outside, English, were more of the develop your own life, move on etc etc which is not helpful. Keith was my life, while he was alive I didn't want any other. Of course you want him with you. Up to Keith's death I was thrilled to bits with a smile, just to touch his arm, anything. With you all the way.
with love, Geraldine aka kindredxxxx