What's the difference?

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Hi again all

I was wondering what the difference is between all the different types of dementia that I've been reading about in the posts.

My dad has told me that mam has been diagnosed with alzheimers - but how do the doctors know that's what it is? What if they're wrong and it's some other kind of dementia? Will it make any difference as to how we should deal with it or help her?

I just don't know what sort of tests mam has had other than memory tests, and don't know what other tests are even done anyway to confirm the diagnosis.

As I've said before, dad and I never get time to talk, so I'm struggling to understand exactly how she's been diagnosed.

elaine n

Jun 1, 2010
west country uk
Hi Collegegirl,
When my husband was diagnosed with AD it was after a series of memory tests and then an MRI scan which showed clearly that there was significant overall shrinkage of his brain with no vascular damage apparent. Because there was no vascular damage we were told it wasn't vascular dementia and he was prescribed Aricept.
There are many other forms of dementia that, I think, present themselves in different ways which the doctors should be aware of.

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Hi Elaine

Thank you for your reply. I remember now that mam was supposed to have an MRI scan at one point. Dad didn't tell her about it until the day, because she gets very distressed when warned of things in advance, but even then, she refused to go, so she didn't have it done.

I'm not too sure what vascular dementia is as opposed to alzheimers.

Mam was prescribed aricept, but dad has a terrible job getting her to take any sort of medication so I don't think she's actually taking it.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Last edited: