Whats in a name

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
Hi all
At a recent vist to my daughters I heard her say something about Old Timers and thought she was being sarcastic. So I asked her my wife about it afterwards and was told that as Children can not understand words very easily, but sometimes detect that there is something wrong with a person, it is easier to use a slightly easier word. So when talking about Grand Dad being ill she could not think of a word to match Dementia with Lewy Bodies. But she thought of OLD TIMERS illness. When I thought about it, there us not a lot of diffrence between Alzheimers and Old Timers. Strangley enough it has stuck in my memory.
I have spent a lot of time laughing at that, and its a nice change from having an senior moment.

Best Wishes

Ken

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Brilliant! Think I'll ask the Memory Clinic secretary to retype my mum's notes as she clearly misheard what the consultant diagnosed.

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
Hi all,

One of my Grand Daughters has problems at times with her L s and Ms, and sometimes puts an R in instead of the L, so I never know what she is going to come out with. This is as you can imagine hard for anyone, let alone me to get my head round because I am never quite sure what she is going to come out with.
The results at times can be very embarassing but up till now no one has taken offence. Never the less between the two of us we usually get there. Although she is still very young she always seems to try to get through to me.

Best Wishes

Ken

Nell

Aug 9, 2005
Australia
KenC said:
Hi all,

One of my Grand Daughters has problems at times with her L s and Ms, and sometimes puts an R in instead of the L, so I never know what she is going to come out with. This is as you can imagine hard for anyone, let alone me to get my head round because I am never quite sure what she is going to come out with.
The results at times can be very embarassing but up till now no one has taken offence. Never the less between the two of us we usually get there. Although she is still very young she always seems to try to get through to me.

Best Wishes

Ken

Ken,
this reminded me of my friend whose little daughter used "F" instead of "T" for some time after she learnt to speak. One day I saw my friend pointing at a picture of a truck and telling her daughter it was a lorry. I must have looked puzzled and she whispered to me:
"I don't dare tell her it is a truck - just imagine what she will tell everyone it is called!!"
So for the next few months we were all very careful to use the word "lorry" instead of "truck" until she could say her "T" sounds!! Nell