What would you do??

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
Mum 79 already in end stage Alzheimers and in care 4 yrs.
Dad 82 with mild/moderate ( depending on day) mixed dementia.
Dad lives behind me, my brother currently living with him.
There is always someone at home, ( also my DH & 18 & 23yo) so very rare that Dad would be completely on his own more than 1-2hrs.

So lockdown ( Im from New Zealand) has hastened Dads decline on top of his decline.
Cognition, judgement, planning, reasoning, safety awareness quite poor.
Short term memory fluctuates. Long term memory shot.
Dad doesnt hallucinate or hear things, isnt delusional, isnt aggressive ( just grumpy & a bit argumentative)
Changing clothes & underwear, socks, general hygiene, brushing teeth, using soap when he is bathing, paying attention to cleanliness on toilet seat and floor when toileting is terrible.
Not incontinent, but often smells of urine, pjamas smell of urine. No accidents in his bed. He has a waterproof mattress protector.
He is resistant to us let alone carers coming into his house, or incontinent products.
Once a week, on my day off work I manage to get him to strip all his clothes and put them in the wash while he has a bath.

2 weeks ago he ended up in hospital with a nasty UTI ( hygiene??)
He had no awareness of not feeling well and telling us.
It was my brother who found him early morning trying to make a coffee, sweating and glassy eyed. Anti B drip and oral anti bs later, its taken 17 says for delirium to shift but hes still not back to where he was.
Im guessing he wont.

Dads now on a list to see a Urologist. He already has impaired kidneys.
What worries me now , is that on asking Dad a few memory questions 2.5 weeks later, and a clear UTI test, he cannot answer many more questions thanwhen he was in hospital.
Also despite still knowing how to use the phone, he could not tell me the emergency no for Fire, Ambo or Police.
He has an Ambo alarm in his lounge, bathroom & bedroom and has no idea what they are for or how you activate them.

So now we can no longer leave him on his own with much if any confidence at all.

If this was your parent what would you do?
Mind you his Urology appt is cause for concern too.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I think I’d be looking at getting him into a carehome fairly soon @Linbrusco, especially if he won’t accept carers at home. I’d be very worried about him being able to call for help. I suppose the only other alternative is to make sure someone is always with him which will be hard for all of you.

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
I think I’d be looking at getting him into a carehome fairly soon @Linbrusco, especially if he won’t accept carers at home. I’d be very worried about him being able to call for help. I suppose the only other alternative is to make sure someone is always with him which will be hard for all of you.
+1 from me.
His needs now outweigh his wants.

Bod.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
I agree with Bunpoots. I feel a home is needed now. I once spent a long time on the floor - fell and couldn’t get up - and I coped with it, but I’m younger and fully aware.
There will be full time care in a home as well. You don’t have to get him to agree, just make the arrangements and take him, cos it sounds like he won’t agree.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
I agree with @Bunpoots -unless you can provide 24/7 watch its going to become harder. Mum was similar in the end before going into care. She had a falls alarm and button, but she would never wear it and probably wouldn't have remembered what it was for anyway. She no longer could use the phone and was struggling with incontinence on a daily basis although she tried really hard to clean herself up, but that awareness went eventually. And of course mum started to wander as well as becoming distressed when I had to work. She wouldn't accept carers coming in and it all got very difficult trying to keep her wishes to remain at home.

I think if you can provide more care in the home and it works then go down that road, but it means someone being there 24/7 and dealing with a condition that requires a team of people as the disease progresses. Or make the transition to a care home, something I would never have said a year ago, but in hindsight it was the best option rather than continuing at home.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im sorry to hear about your dad Lin. UTIs can do that.

It doesnt sound like he can be left alone at all now and I suspect that a lot of his life skills will be gone now too. I think it is time to try carers again. He may accept them now and if he does, then a combination of carers, family and perhaps a sitting service when he would have to be left alone would be enough.

Id also start investigating care homes as a Plan B

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
I agree with all the above.

I wonder what medication he is on?

Also I have a YI camera set up. It is very cheap, and no subscription fee. There are certain times it can be very reassuring. I hear the fact he is not living on his own, but you can sight it in the corridor on the route between toilet and other rooms where it doesn’t have a huge impact on privacy?
I love mine, you can telephone mum, no reply!
Then you look on the YI app and see she was pottering around six minutes previous!
It is so reassuring!
I also hear he is not left alone a great deal, but this camera is so cheap on Amazon it’s worth just buying for the few days a year that everything goes wrong!

I wonder if the UTI was due to him not remembering to drink, I throw away so many cups of tea with only the top inch drunk, do you have any ideas about monitoring his fluids?

JanBWiltshire

Jun 23, 2020
Gloucestershire
I agree with all the above.

I wonder what medication he is on?

Also I have a YI camera set up. It is very cheap, and no subscription fee. There are certain times it can be very reassuring. I hear the fact he is not living on his own, but you can sight it in the corridor on the route between toilet and other rooms where it doesn’t have a huge impact on privacy?
I love mine, you can telephone mum, no reply!
Then you look on the YI app and see she was pottering around six minutes previous!
It is so reassuring!
I also hear he is not left alone a great deal, but this camera is so cheap on Amazon it’s worth just buying for the few days a year that everything goes wrong!

I wonder if the UTI was due to him not remembering to drink, I throw away so many cups of tea with only the top inch drunk, do you have any ideas about monitoring his fluids?
What make camera did you go for? Is it easy to hide?

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
What make camera did you go for? Is it easy to hide?
it is about the size of a mobile phone attached to a stand.
it has a light which indicates power is on, I have covered this with a tiny bit of electrical tape!
Also it has a power lead, this is gaffer taped, at the plug so it can’t be removed !
If you were creative, I would think you could do some sort of dried flower arrangement and put it in there! ( and hope it doesn’t get watered ! )
Or do extreme surgery on some sort of soft toy ( then hope it doesn’t get removed?)
You need to watch some spy films!

JanBWiltshire

Jun 23, 2020
Gloucestershire
it is about the size of a mobile phone attached to a stand.
it has a light which indicates power is on, I have covered this with a tiny bit of electrical tape!
Also it has a power lead, this is gaffer taped, at the plug so it can’t be removed !
If you were creative, I would think you could do some sort of dried flower arrangement and put it in there! ( and hope it doesn’t get watered ! )
Or do extreme surgery on some sort of soft toy ( then hope it doesn’t get removed?)
You need to watch some spy films!
That is so helpful and I really like your camouflage suggestions. If we didn’t know we were talking about dementia patients, you would think we were hiding things from a child! must get my spy hat on!

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
That is so helpful and I really like your camouflage suggestions. If we didn’t know we were talking about dementia patients, you would think we were hiding things from a child! must get my spy hat on!
I did forgot to say, You do need broadband to operate these cameras! sorry I should have mentioned it as I realise it is a problem for many people!