What would you do about this?Am I too fussy?

NancyD

Mar 23, 2008
North east
Thanks for all your support.
The doctor said he hasnt been asked to look at my mams eye but he would advise the carers about it. He then said some dementia sufferers refuse to have drops in their eyes.He said he was recording my conversation as I asked him about the smell in the care home.He said he thought the home was very well run and asked if I had ever been in other homes where there were such a number of advanced dementia sufferers. I suggested that maybe there should be more staff in that case.
I visited my mam last night and noted that the social worker had visited.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Nancy, I would not be happy with the doctor`s attitude. He sounds as if he would write off all care for those with dementia.
I wonder how he`d feel if he applied the same advice to his own mother. :mad:

NancyD

Mar 23, 2008
North east
I actually said to him does that mean you dont think dementia sufferers should have medical care and that is when he said he was going to write down our conversation and said that is not what he said at all and he wanted to make it quite clear.

susiewoo

Oct 28, 2006
Bromley Kent
Has the doctor said he is visiting or is he diagnosing over the phone? I think it very strange that he should take the attitude of being on the defensive when you are after all asking for his professional help.
I wonder if there have been other issues going on at the home involving the doctor. Is there only one doctor at the practice or can you speak to another one?
I would also be keeping avery detailed diary of these events and tell people including this unhelpful GP that you are doing so.
Have you got any further talking to the manager of the home?

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I visited my mam last night and noted that the social worker had visited.

Have you spoken to the Social worker about it all as I wondering what her views are on it all .

The doctor said he hasnt been asked to look at my mams eye but he would advise the carers about it. He then said some dementia sufferers refuse to have drops in their eyes.

Yeah well your asking him now & you could say that he should stop generalizing all dementia people the same , & write that down also ( sounds like he trying to intimidate you)

Anyway cream can be applied on it just like it is done for babies

hendy

Feb 20, 2008
West Yorkshire
Dear Margarita

Thats spot on Margarita! Very well said! Just shows you we shouldn't be intimidated by GP's. We always know whats best for our loved ones!

take care
hendy