What would an ideal Dementia drug look like?

chrisdee

Nov 23, 2014
Yorkshire
I thought I'd start this thread as there is always a lot of discussion here on the various drug regimes, and also that, in our dreams perhaps, we'd all like to see a reliable 'solution' to this dreaded disease from both carer and caree's viewpoint. So to start this off, if a drug is found that would massively delay the onset of severe symptoms of any of the dementias, when would/could a patient be started on it? I think most would say as early as possible. This would mean people being tested and accurate results formulated as early as possible-with a knock on effect on the health service. for instance, too late would be dreadful as we would not want a loved one to be 'locked in' at a later stage.
My Mum, always articulate, one said to me at early stage 'I hope you never get this, I'm so muddled in my head, I can't think straight' of course the D word was never mentioned . . . any thoughts?

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
I thought I'd start this thread as there is always a lot of discussion here on the various drug regimes, and also that, in our dreams perhaps, we'd all like to see a reliable 'solution' to this dreaded disease from both carer and caree's viewpoint. So to start this off, if a drug is found that would massively delay the onset of severe symptoms of any of the dementias, when would/could a patient be started on it? I think most would say as early as possible. This would mean people being tested and accurate results formulated as early as possible-with a knock on effect on the health service. for instance, too late would be dreadful as we would not want a loved one to be 'locked in' at a later stage.
My Mum, always articulate, one said to me at early stage 'I hope you never get this, I'm so muddled in my head, I can't think straight' of course the D word was never mentioned . . . any thoughts?

Not sure to be honest.
Maybe some kind of health check when you are 50 to determine certain hereditary health factors... If it showed a high probability, then a medication to slow down or prevent it from happening.
How could they determine dementia from other causes, other then Alzheimers.. Eg Vascular
other than lowering risks like not smoking, diet, exercise, taking aspirin or statins?
In my family on my mothers side there is a history of breast cancer.
I know one of my cousins has had genetic testing to see if she has inherited the faulty gene. She hasn't.
Mum is the first in her family to have Alzheimers.
Would I want to be tested for it.... At this stage i'm not sure.
If there was a definite medication that could prevent it or help it taken very early on, then Yes I would.

Last edited:

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Surely the 'ideal' drug would eradicate the disease altogether? There'd still be an issues about when it should be started.

I'd settle for a suite of drugs that actually work, for most people, without the side-effects than can worsen the condition. That wouldn't be considered unreasonable for many other serious conditions/diseases. But the reality is that big pharma is losing interest in developing dementia drugs because there have been so many abysmal failures.