what type

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
My husband now has had Dementia for 5years. At first i was told it was Fontal Lobe (this was when he was 49) then i was told Alzheimers. I have asked what type he has and told it doesn't really matter. Yet on reading the factsheet on medication it says that Exelon isn't used for Fontal Lobe and he is on it. He needs full personal care, gets lost in the house, wanders, forgets some things but others remembers no problem although his speech is getting worse, he also has started getting up at night and sleeping of and on. Does anyone have the same symptoms and what type have they got ? Is it important that the type is diagnoised?
See it also says that medication is usually stopped if the score under 10 i am sure he would only score 2

DickG

Feb 26, 2006
Stow-on-the-Wold
Hi Chip

Afraid I can't be much help except to say that Mary has gone from a score of 10 to 8 in a year and is still on Aricept. The consultant said that although there is no evidence to say that medication is effective at this point there is no evidence that it is not. It all depends on the attitude of the consultant.

Dick

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Chip

John was diagosed with Alzheimer's seven years ago and prescribed Reminyl.

Last year the consultant said that apart from language John was much better than he would have expected. He said he was now wondering if he had primary progressive aphasia, which some consider comes under Alzheimer's, others consider a separate form of dementia. He said the only way to tell was at autopsy! I'm not in a hurry to find out!

He's due for his reassessment in a couple of weeks, so we'll see what the consultant says this time. He's still taking the medication.

I honestly don't think it matters, Chip. If the medication works, it works, and I'm thankful for that.

Love,