• We're currently experiencing technical issues with our newsletter software, so our Dementia Talking Point monthly updates have been put on hold for now. We hope to restart the newsletter soon.

    Find out more >here<.

what type of power of attorney


Registered User
Apr 23, 2015
Hi I have an enduring power of attorney executed for my mum but am confused as the new Lasting Power of Attorneys are split into financial and physical welfare. I need to talk to my mum's GP about her eating so will he do that is I have an EPA and what proof do I need when I ring up?


Registered User
May 21, 2014
An EPA does not have the health & welfare bit I am afraid.
I've never had a problem talking to the doctor about OHs medical issues just saying that I am his partner and carer, but some GPs are stricter than others. Could your mum still somehow give permission to the GP to talk to you? If she still had capacity, it's not too late to make a health & safety LPA.
Last edited:


Registered User
Oct 5, 2013
I do have the h&w LPA, but never had a problem talking to doc about his problems. I also have old EPA which covers finance.