what to shred?

Áine

Feb 22, 2006
sort of north east ish
I've almost got to the end of sorting things out with dad's money (I hope), and starting to wonder what of the paperwork I still need to keep and for how long. Obviously I'll keep things like the official certificates from probate etc. But what about things like his old bank statements, council tax bills from his house (now sold) and utility bills, nursing home invoices, the records of finances I made when I had power of attorney.

Does anyone have any idea what's still necessary, or relevant?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hi Áine.

I don`t know if the 7 year ruling still applies, but there was so much paper work, I just kept the final statement of each transaction/payment/withdrawal.

Hope this helps.

Love xx

blue sea

Aug 24, 2005
England
I wouldn't worry about it too much. I did the same, just kept last print out of everything. I thought I might have a yearly clear out as have still got many personal possessions I find it difficult to deal with. I think it does get easier with time as initially every bit of paper (even the bills!) are a contact with the past aren't they?
Blue sea

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
My brother has ours, I expect he'll keep them for 6 years, as our mother taught us to.

Áine

Feb 22, 2006
sort of north east ish
blue sea said:
I wouldn't worry about it too much. I did the same, just kept last print out of everything. I thought I might have a yearly clear out as have still got many personal possessions I find it difficult to deal with. I think it does get easier with time as initially every bit of paper (even the bills!) are a contact with the past aren't they?
Blue sea

Thanks for this blue sea ....... it's very true. I think it's going to have to be a slow, gradual process to get rid of things - even the bills. Good idea to keep the final ones though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
debbie1968