What to expect from memory clinic.

Old Flopsy

Sep 12, 2019
Hi this is my first post- though I have been reading for a while. On Thursday I take my hubby to the Memory Clinic for his assessment.I don't know what to expect! Will I be spoken to or will he be whisked away into another room for the test?

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Hi this is my first post- though I have been reading for a while. On Thursday I take my hubby to the Memory Clinic for his assessment.I don't know what to expect! Will I be spoken to or will he be whisked away into another room for the test?
I went into assessments with my partner, too. Good luck on Thursday, @Old Flopsy.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi @Old Flopsy and welcome to the forum.

My experience isn't too recent as it's a long time since my late husband went to the Memory Clinic. Our experience was that at each appointment I was taken to another room and with a community psychiatric nurse I filled out the carer's questionnaire. While that was happening my husband saw the consultant. When I had finished I joined them. I also tended to hand a letter into the consultant a day or so before our appointment. That allowed me to bring to their attention things I didn't want to say in front of my husband.

I hope all goes well for you both.

My Mum's Daughter

Feb 8, 2020
January 2020

I went to the appointment and was there for the consultation. When the actual memory test was done, I was asked to sit in the waiting room as the doctor said that this would produce the most accurate result. I was happy to do this but asked for more information on what was being done.

After the test was completed, I was told that the test hadn't gone well and taken back to the consulting room where I shown some of the test paperwork.

Hope all goes well for you and your husband.

UncleZen

Dec 24, 2019
I've accompanied my wife several times to the memory clinic over the last couple of years. Everytime she says shes never been there before. But then appears to remember the interior.
Every tim she was tested I have been with her. And I was often asked questions by the Doctor. I take notes as I go, as theres a lot to take in.

Olliebeak

Sep 13, 2014
Buckinghamshire
I went with my husband and we both saw a doctor and a nurse. I was seated so that the doctor could talk to my husband but she could see my reaction to his responses to questions. Then he went into another room to do a formal test with the nurse while the doctor chatted to me. Then they came back and we talked about the results and the implications ( telling DVLA) and medication. He was also sent for a brain scan. We went back only once - after that he has just been reviewed by the GP annually. The memory test has never been repeated,

Old Flopsy

Sep 12, 2019
Many thanks to all those who have sent reassuring comments. I do appreciate your responses. I must take a notebook to jot down the points I might forget lol. I am just going to find a map of the hospital so I can find my way to the right ward- the hospital is all on one level so we could end up walking a long way!

Old Flopsy

Sep 12, 2019
Well last night hubby announced that 'he wasn't going for that test tomorrow'- and then he went to bed!

Fortunately this morning he got up and dressed in clean clothes ready for the hospital appointment!

It went well- one and a half hours flew past- I was in the same room and was able to contribute as the lady collected information about his past- where he grew up, schooling, career, medical history etc, but she asked me to stay silent during the 'test'- although hubby kept looking to me for assistance over certain questions so I just shrugged my shoulders!

Then she sent him for a heart trace- to see if he is fit enough to take the meds if he is offered them.

She said the test responses will be analysed and he will be called back for another appointment in a few weeks to discuss what comes next.

Time for a cuppa!

Old Flopsy

Sep 12, 2019
Well we never got called back to be given the diagnosis- with Covid all face to face meetings were off, so we got a telephone call instead- vascular dementia. Hubby rejects this diagnosis and 'is going to do something about this lie'!

He has now been put on a drug to make the blood less sticky- but hubby is going to see the GMC about why he has been given these tablets!

We struggle on in this lockdown as neither of us wants to go out and about like before this dreadful virus arrived.

My main concern at the moment is that hubby keeps going into the garden to urinate in the kitchen grate or a flower pot- it just doesn't make sense to walk past a toilet and walk into the garden to do this. It upsets me so much, knowing neighbors can easily see him, and it's just so unhygienic. He keeps promising not to do it again- but then he does.

Has anybody got any advice?

Laura40

Dec 10, 2017
England
I moved house due to needing to be closer to work following my husbands diagnosis. The best thing I ever did was share with my new neighbours what was going on. They have been so understanding. I think it obviously depends on your relationship with them but if you feel they can be discreet, people today are so much more understanding there is so much more information out there about dementia and they could end up being a lifeline for you when needed. It also stops any misunderstandings going forward which is inevitable.

Old Flopsy

Sep 12, 2019
Thankyou for your replies Laura and Mums Daughter. My neighbours know about hubby's dementia. I was just hoping there was some way to get him to stop lol.