what to expect from memory clinic appointment

Noaksie1

Nov 2, 2010
Sussex UK
Hello, I've finally managed to persuade mum to agree to attend a memory clinic appointment this week, I will go with her. Her behaviour has deteriorated so much over the last few months - she struggles to understanding basic info, is v forgetful, confuses family members up, forgets really important stuff that's happened in the past.

Although she is now in financial difficulty, she always says she is fine & I'm worried that she will present as 'fine' i.e. I'm worried their tests will not be enough to diagnose. Her GP asked a few simple questions, to which she responded well.

I guess I'm wanting confirmation that those @ the memory clinic know what to expect/look for. Any info/experiences would be appreciated please. Also, what are the next steps i.e. immediate diagnosis, more tests, any help/support?

Thanks for your time.
Best wishes
N1:(

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
Make some notes, write a letter and hand them in or email them before you go for the appointment. I did this and they read them so it is worth a go.

littlegem

Nov 11, 2010
north Wales
Hi, they might want a CT scan doing and then you go back for the results.
The first app. is doing the tests -MMSE etc- one lady took hubby off and another spoke to me about hubby and his symptoms.
Hubby scored 26/30 in February but it would be nowhere near that now.
The consultant took one look at hubby's CT scan and asked me if I had POA:eek:
he then suggested I get it done immediately..... All sorted now just in case it's needed.
The people at the memory clinic were extremely nice and understanding, I don't know if that's how they are generally or if it's a particularly good clinic here.
Hope everything goes OK with your Mum, it's a scary time
They will also assign you a CPN (community psychiatric nurse)

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Hello Noaksie , Am :) for you (in a Postive Way ) that you have been able to get your Mum to go to the Memory Clinic ( tho of course you will be worried etc for your Mum )
Sorry :( no real advice ( Dad has Mild / Moderate Dementia since 2009 ) he was reffered to the M Clinic Via his G P ( the G P did the MMSE Test in 2008 )

Think from what i can gather all M Clinics are run differently in the U K ( this from reading simialar Threads to your's on T P ! )

Live near Parent's & Mum tells me bits of Info after they have been to the Clinic for a
"Check UP " Appt , apprently Dad only sees the Consultant every other Appt ( his next Appt is Nov )

Love & Support for you & your Mum for the Appt & hope all goes well as can be expected

Love & Hugs Love Grove x x

Noaksie1

Nov 2, 2010
Sussex UK
Thanks so much for your replies. I'm glad we're going, although dreading it at the same time. I will make lots of notes & take with me.

Thank you, very best wishes.
N1

mummychicken

Mar 13, 2011
Devon
mummychicken

I was interested in the thread which said a CPN would be allocated - my mother certainly hasn't been allocated one - is this common practice? Could I ask for one? Mum won't admit she has a problem even though she is diagnosed with vascular dementia and alz. and having a cpn could be a way in to getting her to accept she needs help and help us to get her some practical help. We seem to have been left totally alone with no-one offering help or information about what is available to her. We all live miles away and she is refusing to leave her 5 bedroomed house with one acre of grounds whihc she can no longer manage. We have got a gardener in but we need someone to call in and keep an eye on her - I guess she needs a SS assessment but she'd never agree.

JenniferW

Jul 17, 2011
Shropshire
Make the most of it?

I've been with my mother to two appointments with our local memory clinic - which is now actually being wound up (or merged with another service?).

I'd say go along and try and make the most of it. Overall, I thought they could have done a lot more, but I can see good things have come out of the appointments - and not just the medication.

I think the actual trips to a hospital clinic have been good experiences, both for my mother and me. I think it's helped her identify and label her condition. I think it's helped me do the same.

The memory tests used seem simple, but I've also seen changes in my mother's performance (significant improvement!), so I can see they're a bit more sophisticated than they seem at first sight.

Apart from testing and prescribing medication, for every other question I've gone there with, I've felt a bit fobbed off - pointed in the direction of the GP, the Alzheimer's Society - you name it, they're good at telling you to ask elsewhere, it seemed to me.

But overall, and in not-always-obvious ways, I think the experience of the memory clinics has been positive for us.

sussexsue

Jun 10, 2009
West Sussex
I was interested in the thread which said a CPN would be allocated - my mother certainly hasn't been allocated one - is this common practice? Could I ask for one?

Like you I have never encountered one and they remain a mystery to me. I do believe someone visited mum a couple of times many years ago when she was first diagnosed to get her started on aricept. Could that have been a CPN?

linda51

Sep 19, 2010
Make a diary

Hello there - my dad was officially diagnosed in Feb 2010 - when he was already fairly down the path of alzheimer's. He attends the memory clinic every 6 months, and the consultant is an expert at picking up any changes. His last last was February this year, and he scored his lowest yet - 8 out of 30. My advice is to keep a daily diary of how your relative is - the highs and lows, and see if there is a pattern to the good and bad days. That way you can take it along with you. If there is a doubt with the memory test they will refer for a CT scan. Good luck with it.