What to expect from Dr appointed by Court Of Protection visit to assess capacity

tryingmybest

May 22, 2015
The horrendous saga of the ongoing situation regarding the court hearings continue. Having now attended two hearings and with another one set for the next few weeks, I have a court visitor who is a Doctor /psychiatrist coming soon to see my Mother. I am presuming this is to assess her capacity and am wondering what sort of thing this will entail? Can anyone advise please and will I be able to sit in on this meeting or have to disappear into another room? Mum gets very anxious when asked a lot of questions and is not at all happy about this taking place. Its imperative she does express her feelings in this meeting as I and Mums doctor both agree she does have capacity to make certain decisions but under pressure I feel she will not do well and this could lead to her detriment at the next hearing.

Basically my sister is saying Mum hasn't got capacity for any decision especially where she lives and who she sees. She is trying to get my Mum to live with her again and become deputy for finances, health, welfare etc and a Dols order. For those if you who haven't read my previous posts Mum now very happily lives with me following being financially abused and very unhappy when she was at my sisters for which there is currently a police investigation.

I just need to know what is likely to happen at the assessment and tips on how best to prepare Mum and also try to help her feel relaxed and able to express herself.

Last edited:

Cydonija

Aug 20, 2015
Birmingham, UK
The horrendous saga of the ongoing situation regarding the court hearings continue. Having now attended two hearings and with another one set for the next few weeks, I have a court visitor who is a Doctor /psychiatrist coming soon to see my Mother. I am presuming this is to assess her capacity and am wondering what sort of thing this will entail? Can anyone advise please and will I be able to sit in on this meeting or have to disappear into another room? Mum gets very anxious when asked a lot of questions and is not at all happy about this taking place. Its imperative she does express her feelings in this meeting as I and Mums doctor both agree she does have capacity to make certain decisions but under pressure I feel she will not do well and this could lead to her detriment at the next hearing.

Basically my sister is saying Mum hasn't got capacity for any decision especially where she lives and who she sees. She is trying to get my Mum to live with her again and become deputy for finances, health, welfare etc and a Dols order. For those if you who haven't read my previous posts Mum now very happily lives with me following being financially abused and very unhappy when she was at my sisters for which there is currently a police investigation.

I just need to know what is likely to happen at the assessment and tips on how best to prepare Mum and also try to help her feel relaxed and able to express herself.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation, but you shouldn't worry too much about the capacity assessment. These people deal with this situation a lot, and they know how intimidating it can be. I believe you will be allowed to sit in, but it is important (and difficult!) to let your mum answer on her own.
It won't be like an interrogation, they will simply have a chat with her and ask her questions that you and I would find to be quiet simple. Usually things like, what do you like to wear, what do you like to do, where would you like to be, etc.
These won't be the exact questions, but it will be of a similar flavour.
They will be looking at how she answers, and will account for nerves and confusion.

I hope that it all works out for her, and that you can have a swift end to all this stress x

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
You will be able to stay with your mother, just sit next to her and hold her hand, keep smiling at her to help keep her calm, do not answer any questions for her unless you are asked directly, just stay calm. Promise you this procedure isn't half as bad as you think it will be. Don't anticipate the outcome or worry that your mother may say the wrong thing. Even if they find she has some capacity they will then listen and take note to where she wants to live. Hopefully this whole thing will end soon. Good luck.

tryingmybest

May 22, 2015
Thank you both for your replies. That's made me feel a bit better knowing I can sit with her. Everyone else that been to see her make me wait out in the garden which infuriates me as its my home!! Xx

Bill Owen

Feb 17, 2014
BRIDGEND
She be fine

the horrendous saga of the ongoing situation regarding the court hearings continue. Having now attended two hearings and with another one set for the next few weeks, i have a court visitor who is a doctor /psychiatrist coming soon to see my mother. I am presuming this is to assess her capacity and am wondering what sort of thing this will entail? Can anyone advise please and will i be able to sit in on this meeting or have to disappear into another room? Mum gets very anxious when asked a lot of questions and is not at all happy about this taking place. Its imperative she does express her feelings in this meeting as i and mums doctor both agree she does have capacity to make certain decisions but under pressure i feel she will not do well and this could lead to her detriment at the next hearing.

Basically my sister is saying mum hasn't got capacity for any decision especially where she lives and who she sees. She is trying to get my mum to live with her again and become deputy for finances, health, welfare etc and a dols order. For those if you who haven't read my previous posts mum now very happily lives with me following being financially abused and very unhappy when she was at my sisters for which there is currently a police investigation.

I just need to know what is likely to happen at the assessment and tips on how best to prepare mum and also try to help her feel relaxed and able to express herself.
my wife had to go to a meeting for( pip) i sat in on the meeting just incase.there new with in 10 min. That she was not able to make any decision
. There then told me that there have seen enougth. Not to worry. Sorry im dislix so baer with me .