what to expect from a home assessment from memory clinic

hannahtaylor13

Jan 1, 2017
North Yorkshire
my grandad is being assessed by our memory clinic at home on Tuesday, his behaviour is becoming more extreme and is now a huge challenge for my family to deal with.
We have no idea what to expect from this assessment and just wondered if anyone else has had one?
Thanks
Hannah

(he was originally diagnosed by memory clinic and we have now been referred back to them after his behaviour worsened)

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
since your dad has already received a diagnosis, this visit will be to gather what has changed, maybe they will do another set of the 'memory tests' or just speak with you and him
maybe prepare a list of your concerns, making clear what has developed since the original diagnosis, so that you can hand it to the assessors
and look out for your dad going into 'host' mode where he can put a lot of energy and concentration into appearing much better than he usually does - maybe have somone sit so the assessor can see them but your dad cannot, so that person can signal when your dad isn't quite telling it as it is
and don't be concerned about your dad showing the behaviours that. oncern you, actually that would be useful for the assessors to experience
maybe just treat the appointment as someone popping in for a coffee, rather than have your dad worrying beforehand and getting anxious

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Dear Hannah,

I can confirm what Shedrech has said. Dad's last memory test was at home and he was asked questions that would have been the same as the memory test in the memory clinic. He showed no host mode as far as I could see but he did feel more confident at home and he was given an extra point. The dementia nurse then had a discussion with us about dad's care, carers etc before deciding that we were doing very well.

Good luck to both of you

MaNaAk