what to do?

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
:confused: My husband is i think booked in for 2 nights at a Nursing home 28miles away. This is i think (again) is starting tomorrow. I do not no how much it is ether. SW said on Friday that it was Tuesday he is going no i told her it was Mon to Wed. I told her just to cancel it. But she wouldn't do it. I or anyone i know wouldn't buy anything without knowing how much it was. As i don't know how much it is should this go ahead? I am supposed to get a phone call tomorrow to tell me yes the day he is supposed to be there. It is also 28miles away. My husband also gets taken out on a Monday with the early onset outreach as i dont know what is going on i cant tell them. Why will the SW not listen to me and cancel it. It would be a lot easier all round:(

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Why don't you call the nursing home yourself and find out what the charge is?

Jennifer

DickG

Feb 26, 2006
Stow-on-the-Wold
Hi Chip

The answer is simple, tell the SW that your husband is not going, end of story. You should also explain that if they do not tell you the cost of respite care beforehand you will accept it on the basis that it is free. If you have no joy with the SW go to the one above them, ultimately ask your MP for help, it frightens the life out of SWs.

Kepp in touch

Hugs

Dick

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
Hi
I HAVE been to the MSP the so called SW asked me why i had been and if he goes to the head office she will tell them she has done this and that and make me out to be the one in error. She also keeps saying that i am stressed (i'm not) and on my carers assesment said i'm depressed (i'm not) The thing is i'm more qualified than her and my colleagues also say i am defently not depressed or stressed. What i am is angry at a Social Worker and a system that does not care. From now on i am going to write everything down she says to me. She started going on about the mobility car and telling me i cant use it for my work i told her well my son is unemployed and well i would have a problem using it for my "work " Its me who thinks she is stressed or just very unorgainised. I think that SW are really administrators anyway all they do is hand forms in.

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
Hi Chip

I think the bottom line is here is that SW's are there to provide a SERVICE to the community. If you are not happy with this particular SERVICE PROVIDER!!! I would ask for a change in SW.

They tend to have this air about them that they are doing us a favour and they know best, rubbish, nobody knows our loved ones and whats good for them/us better than we do.

Sounds to me as if the one you have been landed with is the one who needs the respite. I would ask for a meeting with the manager and request a change.

Best wishes
Cate

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
Respite might be starting tomorrow now but got the bad news that he has to pay £257 a week. At least he is only going for 2 nights. But is booked in for 2weeks in Feb so thats going to cost £514 and i am going away then so i have the £514 on top of my hoilday money to pay. We are no where near the thousands savings. No wonder a lot are not taking respite.

Helena

May 24, 2006
Sounds like you need to ensure there are no savings in your names at all

Disgraceful situation when a few pounds in a rainy day fund penalises you when it comes to caring for a sick husband

No wonder many people hide cash in a safe or under the mattress

Lateral thinking needed with any savings you do have PDQ

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
Just worked it out they were taking all the money he has coming in a week and leaving me with pennies to go on holiday with Social Services Scotland.............. :mad: ............... BAA HUMERG

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Chip
sounds like a crazy mix up to me.
You do not have to be bullied by a SW,they are supposed to be there for you and to fight your corner.
Speak to their manager and advise her/him that you will take out a formal complaint (it works I know) if you do not get the support that you need.
Regards the charges,do you have a fair charging department in your SS departments?
They are there to work out what should be paid after checking your financial details.T his will depend on income and savings.
Keep in touch
Norman

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
Well thats him in for two nights he was all smiles warmly greated and taken straight to lunch.He was happy. It is a lovely place in the country. The SW has said to me that it isnt the whole months money just the two weeks so you have the two weeks money . I asked her if that happened to you could you pay all your bills on two weeks wage? No amswer i wonder why? I then said may be now you will understand what i have been telling you that i need to work. This respite is only a trial to see if he settles as well, and to think i have been fightening for years to get respite to find all this out now. I really thought they would have to leave you with enough to pay bills the amount was put on the form that was needed to pay them. Now i know why the Government says to save its so they dont have to pay for your care and they can use your money

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Chip

At last some respite for you. That's a success after all your struggles. Enjoy it, and hope your husband enjoys it too. At least you've now found a nice place for him.

All the best,

DickG

Feb 26, 2006
Stow-on-the-Wold
Hi Chip

My SWs only take my wife's savings into account for charges like respite, day centres etc. Since she has less than £25,000 all her care is free. Is it not the same in your neck of the woods?

I have only had a years experience of SWs and they have been brilliant, why do we all have such varied experiences of SWs?

Dick

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Unfortunately, chip's in Scotland AND her husband is under 65. These things seem to make a difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LewisBoreham