What to do for the best

michellelouise

Sep 9, 2021
My dad is 81 has anxiety ++ tearful depressed
States if he’s ill he would rather die
He has had bloods and now on treatment for anxiety but am 99 0/0 sure there is dementia
I am a nurse and completed the addenbrookes assessment which he scored 72 and lowest marks all memory.
Knowing what he feels about a diagnosis we are all scared to move towards a diagnosis formally and when we reassure him it’s normal to be forgetful he does accept this and is much happier. I think if we pursue diagnosis at this stage he will just give up or worse ?

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Hullo and welcome to the community, @michellelouise. As you have the nursing experience there is not much I can say you won't already be aware of. For what it is worth, my partner hates the word Dementia, so I just put everything down to a stroke she had 10 years ago and that is easier for her to accept. It does give me an idea what I'm up against though.
Sorry your dad is so depressed too, that is so hard for you both to deal with as I'm becoming too acutely aware recently. Sorry to take over, you are in the right place for support from a knowledgeable and experienced membership, so read around and keep posting if it helps.