What to do at the end ??? Life insurance funeral costs

Dog5Body4U

Jul 10, 2016
Rochdale Lancashire
Hi Folks
Mywife is currently worrying about what will go on when her mother actually dies, her sister has the life insurance documents but as far as we know there is no will and my wife is now wondering if the life insurance will actually cover the funeral or will we have to cover it ? Also she is worried that all of her mothers money will get blocked as soon as she dies including her life insurances until probate is over as the manager of the care home said could happen so I was wondering if anyone has any information that can shed some light please.

In an aside MERRY CHRISTMAS and a HAPPY NEW YEAR to one and all

Wildflowerlady

Sep 30, 2019
Hi @Dog5Body4U My understanding from what I have previously read is that most banks will usually release and settle the cost of a funeral from the deceased Bank Account and pay the amount direct to the Funeral Company when invoice is presented not to a relative first so maybe worth making a provisional/general enquiry now with MIL's bank.

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
If the laws are the same in the UK as in New Zealand, you need to find out who the beneficiary of the life insurance policy is.
Is there any chance your SIL may be?
If its your MIL, it goes to her estate, unless there is a funeral benefit which can be claimed and paid direct to the funeral director.
Same law here in NZ, bank accounts under an individual are frozen until probate if there is a will & reasonable assets, or letters of administration and no will and assets, and beneficiaries are proven otherwise.
Banks can pay directly to funeral director too for costs.
Are you both on terms with SIL to find out and then plans can be made?

Dog5Body4U

Jul 10, 2016
Rochdale Lancashire
Hi @Dog5Body4U My understanding from what I have previously read is that most banks will usually release and settle the cost of a funeral from the deceased Bank Account and pay the amount direct to the Funeral Company when invoice is presented not to a relative first so maybe worth making a provisional/general enquiry now with MIL's bank.
Thank you very much for your reply and we will try to contact the bank to check if they will pay directly to a funeral directors if the circumstances require it, you have put at least one of the worries of my wife's to rest the rest will just happen how it happens.

Dog5Body4U

Jul 10, 2016
Rochdale Lancashire
If the laws are the same in the UK as in New Zealand, you need to find out who the beneficiary of the life insurance policy is.
Is there any chance your SIL may be?
If its your MIL, it goes to her estate, unless there is a funeral benefit which can be claimed and paid direct to the funeral director.
Same law here in NZ, bank accounts under an individual are frozen until probate if there is a will & reasonable assets, or letters of administration and no will and assets, and beneficiaries are proven otherwise.
Banks can pay directly to funeral director too for costs.
Are you both on terms with SIL to find out and then plans can be made?
unfortunately the sil no longer talks to my wife or me or our daughter in fact she has also stopped her children from talking to us the last communication my wife got was a text asking why we were wasting nan's money buying her a tv for her room when there was one in the lounge of the home. my wife said for if she ever was bed ridden. nothing since, so I guess we can make no plans together, which is a shame. ( in my opinion there is nothing worse than family, when my father died they all came out of the woodwork wanting things they said to remember him by !! I thought that's what you have a brain and a heart for)
But thanks for the reply

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
When my BIL died the Bank of Scotland released costs of his funeral on production of death certificate and invoice. Very straightforward.

Lorna44

Jul 16, 2016
Surrey
I work in a bank, and although A/C's are blocked on notification of a bereavement, funeral expenses are allowed to debit the account. Hope this helps. X

Ruth1974

Dec 26, 2018
Hi Folks
Mywife is currently worrying about what will go on when her mother actually dies, her sister has the life insurance documents but as far as we know there is no will and my wife is now wondering if the life insurance will actually cover the funeral or will we have to cover it ? Also she is worried that all of her mothers money will get blocked as soon as she dies including her life insurances until probate is over as the manager of the care home said could happen so I was wondering if anyone has any information that can shed some light please.

In an aside MERRY CHRISTMAS and a HAPPY NEW YEAR to one and all
I am sure that the cost of a basic funeral would be covered by social work (I think £750 is the maximum spend for someone with no funds). It is a very basic funeral though.

Dog5Body4U

Jul 10, 2016
Rochdale Lancashire
I am sure that the cost of a basic funeral would be covered by social work (I think £750 is the maximum spend for someone with no funds). It is a very basic funeral though.
My wife has managed her mums money rather well so my MIL has a few grand in the bank also MIL has 3 life insurance policies

Wandasi

Sep 23, 2021
I know this post has almost a year, but it should cover all the costs if the mother has life insurance.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa