What to do about increasing apathy

tss502

Oct 20, 2014
Hi,

My OH has a pretty busy schedule currently. We have a consistent arrangement with carers so that he is supported to do things he enjoys whilst I am out at work. This has included a range of activities over the past year including table tennis sessions, volunteering at a cycle workshop, friendship groups, trip to the gym and regular walks and other exercise. We've kept him busy and with a well-structured pattern, and he has, on the whole, enjoyed this.

However, he's increasingly becoming disinterested in his social activities. He's now starting to become disruptive because he doesn't want to go, and it is becoming increasingly difficult for the carer to manage him. Equally, if he is at home, he doesn't have much interest in anything, can't really concentrate on the TV, and won't do puzzles or other craft activities. He seems to want to pace around from room to room fairly aimlessly and is generally only motivated by food. He does like cycling and we do take him to the local track when the weather is OK, and also he has an exercise bike at home.

With this increasing apathy does anyone have any tips for what we could encourage him to do? I'm aware that the packed schedule might be a bit too much for him now, but with the weather also turning we desperately need indoor activities which he will participate in and which don't require any concentration. He is on medication to help manage his anxiety and moods as this was becoming a significant problem for us, but I do wonder if this is contributing to the current lack of purpose.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
I struggle with this with my wife. The only thing that works consistently well for me is the promise of a reward like a cuppa and a biscuit after exercise or a beer if she continues with karaoke, which was always our main social activity. luckily my wife does like puzzles so that also helps with me.

In the hope that there is something in there that will help, here’s a link to the AS Factsheet about apathy

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/sites...ownloads/factsheet_depression_and_anxiety.pdf

Last edited:

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hi PJ, nice to hear from you, how are you and your husband?

We are both doing as well as can be expected and nothing I can't manage overall. I'm starting to look forward to heading back to Cyprus in a few weeks time. :) Every trip feels like it might be the last but I'll keep on with as many 'last trips' as we can manage and I hope there will be many - ever the optimist me!:D

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
He is on medication to help manage his anxiety and moods as this was becoming a significant problem for us, but I do wonder if this is contributing to the current lack of purpose.
Sometimes its a chicken and egg situation.
Lots of activities during the days are good in the early stages, but gradually they become much harder for the person with dementia to do and this in itself can cause anxiety, because it makes them realise what they can no longer do easily.
I would be inclined to cut back on the activities. The day doesnt have to be filled with purpose. Have you tried giving him a pack of cards to maybe play patience with, or even just for him to sort the cards into piles? I get OH to help me fold the sheets and towels.