Votes: 108 30.7%
  • Stage 7

Votes: 52 14.8%

• Total voters

sandrah

Jul 11, 2007
west midlands
Hi
Could someone explain what these numbered stages are, as I have not heard about them and would like to know waht stage my dad is at.
Thanks

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Sandra,

Go to the first page on this thread, and you will see a post from Brucie, with 2 links.
Click on the links, and you will find explanations of the stages.
You can work out approximate stages from these links.

Love xx

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Mameeskye I think we all have days when it becomes too much and the shadows creep over us. We just have to remember the brighter days too and take pleasure in the little things. These days will pass.

I get days like that ..... must remeber what you said thank-you for sharing well said,

We just have to remember the brighter days too and take pleasure in the little things. These days will pass.

sue k

Jun 26, 2007
warrington cheshire
my dad was diagnosed 12 months ago and is now at stage 7, heartbreaking for us to witness such deterioration , so quickly.

My only comfort is that i pray to god dad isnt aware of what is happening to him !

Cymbaline

Aug 23, 2007
I voted Stage 6 for my mother, though I think in reality she's a 6.5 :( Reading down through the different stages is like a history lesson now. I try not to look ahead though. We'll be time enough facing into future problems when they arise.

diddyb

Aug 25, 2007
Barnet
Voted 5 as we somewhere between 5 and 6, but yesterday the clinic said her alzheimers is not typical (she hasnt got any worse, just does silly things more often).

clarethebear

Oct 16, 2007
manchester, uk
Wow, I don't know wheather I should of done this poll or not. My Nanna was diagnosed in January of this year and going of the stages on Bruce's Web link. My Nanna over the last week has now gone to a stage 7. My head is now totally spinnin.

Clare

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Don't let it worry you clarethebear , as its not 100 percent right every one with AZ Is different from what you read from that link.
as my mother was a 10 Memory test last year May (Late Dementia) 7 on that link and she knows her sounding and know me and all family name

Last edited:

RAF1

Sep 29, 2007
TUCSON AZ
Lynne said:
and isn't THAT just typical! My Mum leaves the back door wide open when the central heating is on full-blast, but just let me leave a light on for 5 minutes ... and she remembers that for weeks!

If you didn't laugh sometimes :cool: , you'd cry.

Regards
Lynne: This is my first post but I have been reading for quite some time. Mainly I have been trying to figure out what to expect next with Melva (wife). I believe she is in stage 4 but some things in other stages apply. But now I am wandering down a different lane, the reason I quoted you was that Melva will leave doors open all the time but finally after constant reminders she will close them but still forgets at times.
Also, she tells me that I am wasting water if I let it run while I am shaving or washing my hands etc. We live in the desert so water is a fact of life for us. Your right, she remembers it forever and ever.
Thanks to all who post as I really appreciate the knowledge that I am getting from talking point.
Bob

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Hello Bob,
Welcome to T.P. When you read other posts you will see so many different aspects of the herrendous illness. As mentioned before, sometimes if you don't laugh you would cry and boy do we do a lot of that. Here on T.P. there is so much support. Although corresponding with people like many of us I don;t suppose in your wildess thoughts it would be over a illness. As for what stage so many go through the stages very quickly and some stay at a particular stage for quite a while. It is the not knowing and if Consultant and the experts can not tell us we are all in limbo taking each day as it comes.
I have found that there always seems tobe someone on 24/7,
Best wishes. Christine

BeverleyY

Jan 29, 2008
Ashford, Kent
Hmm.. not really clear cut for me. I would say 5/6with my dad.

His main problem is he has lost all sense of year, season etc. His immediate memory recall is virtually non existent at times (although he can learn new things - like, in the past week he has learnt where the cemetary is, and walks there easily with no help to my mum's grave (she was buried this Monday).

He is in total denial that he has anything wrong with him at all.

I cannot reason or justify anything to him. He talks utter nonsense at times - thinking he can go off and live where he did 20 years ago at the drop of a hat by just phoning the council and they will give him a place of his choice :-(

He also hides things he things are important (money etc.) and then can't find them! Ocassionally, he refers to peoploe 'wanting to do him in'.

But... he gets up, makes tea every day, makes something to eat (usually just a sandwich), dresses, showers (when reminded), remembers to shave, walks to the shops, buys milk etc and handles his money with no problem.

He sometimes gets our names confused, but on the whole is fine knowing his nearest and dearest.

He seems extreme in some areas, and mild in others.

This all confuses me so much.

Beverley

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Hi Beverley,

just to say that it is never clear cut with dementia. These stages are more of a guide and the more experience you get with dementia the more that you realise how much overlap there is. Depends on the nature of dementia, the nature of the individual and a kind of chaos theory. Basically the brain is a complicated organ and that is why it is hard to get clear diagnoses never mind cures.

So just to say you are not alone in your confusion when it comes to stages and behaviour; but lots of people here who will have similar experiences and hopefully practical advice.

kind regards
Craig

BeverleyY

Jan 29, 2008
Ashford, Kent
I spoke to the CPN this morning as I knew they previously assessed my dad. I thought he never went to see the consultant, but apparently he did.

My dad appears to have Vascular Dementia (which I suspected) - he had a mild stroke a few years back and things seemed to really kick off after that. Prior to that, there was the odd forgetful moment, but nothing major - he was still driving etc.

The stroke, coupled with diabetes that he never controlled very well are probably the major factors. The consultant apparently reported that even if there is an element of Alzheimers, he cannot really be medicated because they inhibitors are contraindicated with his glaucoma. The last thing I would have wanted them to do is risk his eyesight as well.

Beverley

Lynn Stanier

Feb 20, 2008
Middlesex
What Stage

My mother is undoubtedly at number 7.

She is being cared for courageously by my father at home. This morning she fell off her chair and hit her head, the blood is thick in her hair, the wound doesnt look like it needs stitches and she doesnt show any kind of concussion symptoms. She is like a tiger and will not allow any kind of care without resistance, her hair hasnt been touched in months, apart from the occasional trim I do when she isnt paying attention. How do we wash her hair? It takes two to change her incontinence pants and dress/undress her. She is forgetting how to eat, how to get in or out of bed. We are at our wits end.
She recently spent four days in a care home to give my father a break, but they didnt even put her to bed, the reason they gave was that it is against her human rights to put her to bed or wash or change her clothes if she resists (which she does all the time) consequently she came home in a dishevelled state with hugely swollen ankles..
We have carers who we pay to come and help, but they too are unable to fight through the resistance - only my father and I ignore her screams and continue or nothing would be done to clean or change her.
Is there anywhere to go from here? We are already in touch with the Alzheimers Society and Age Concern.

Kate P

Jul 6, 2007
Merseyside
Hi Lynn,

Gosh what a difficult time you and your dad are having. I admire your courage for perservering so long.

Can I ask what medication, if any, your mum is taking?

My mum, although not as far along as yours, was also very aggressive and would lash out, usually at my long suffering father.

However, she is now on a combination of anti-depressants and anti-psychotic medication and although I can't say by any stretch it's stopped her completely, it has made her much more managable.

LilyB7

Sep 10, 2007
Pontefract
Stage 5 / 6

Well I would rate mum as progressing onto stage 6, she doesn't forget the name of her deceased spouse - just how many of them she's had, but remarkably they've all been called George! She know's that she knows me, but can't always connect that I'm her daughter or always remember my name, likewise she's the same with my children, they're familiar to her but she doesn't always recognise them - she's also imagining additional siblings for me when I am an only child.
She has hallucinations and is also delusional.
This is a horrible and cruel disease! My mothers diagnosis of AD has been far worse than my fathers terminal cancer diagnosis :(

puddin'ead

Jul 25, 2008
Lancs
I'd say my dad is stage 4, bordering on stage 5. He couldn't recollect his grandsons yesterday, but after a moment seemed to know my son today & referred to him by name.
What he'll say to mum over the next day or so remains to be seen/ heard.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
old ginger