What stage is the stuttering?

Onlydaughter

Aug 12, 2014
My mum who will be 95 in the summer is in a care home for last three years, has az, probably now about 7 years. She is deaf, blind, doubly incontinent, can't get out of a chair without help, only just about shuffle, walks with a walker and a minder. No longer knows the family. Seemed to have a stutter which got worse as day progresses, now this is constant, was having 'crazy' nonsense conversations with herself in this stutter, to the point she was disrupting other residents, we are told this goes on most of the time now. Does the stutter and the rest mean the brain is shutting down. Would appreciate any opinions. It's a sad sad situation, this is an existence not a life.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi onlydaughter. it must be hard when they lose their speech. Mum has not yet reached that stage - does your mum understand when you talk to her even though she cant reply properly?
There are a couple of people in mums care home who have been like that for a while, so although its part of the dementia journey and in that respect it is part of the way the brain is shutting down, but I think you mean - is this the end stage and I dont think it is necessarily.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
My mother went through a lengthy stage of saying 'da da da da da' over and over and over, whilst pounding on her wheelchair table. I was told it was a form of self-stimulation for her.

She no longer does it - hasn't for quite a long time. I don't think it's indicative of anything we can quantify.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Hi Onlydaughter

It's very difficult, if not impossible, to give an answer to your question. My OH was talking 'gibberish'-not so much a stammer though- for approximately 2 years. Other dementia sufferers keep their speech throughout. If I could just give you an example of how Dementia doesn't necessarily follow a pattern; generally people at the end of life stage tend to not take in fluids/solids. My Husband ate a full meal literally minutes before he died. One cannot predict the stages. I see your Mum is mobile-although with help. My Husband was being hoisted everywhere. The stages are interlinking and that is what makes Dementia so difficult to predict.

Sorry I can't give you a definitive answer

Take care

Lyn T XX

Onlydaughter

Aug 12, 2014
Thanks

Thanks for your comments, will take them on board. I don't think she understands what we are saying any more, certainly does not know us, when I told her who I was, denied she had children. Gave her a jelly baby, which she held in her hand for the entire visit and took no notice of all kinds of encouragement to put in her mouth. Just think is a very sad existence. But thanks again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anne Paterson