What sort of change is this and how do I describe it plse?

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
Hi all and may the New Year be good to you

Sorry, this’ll be a long post.

I'd really appreciate TP posters' input to help me understand Mum’s changed state and explain it properly to Mum's psychiatrist and GP.

I think Mum’s state is now markedly different from what it has been and that there could be “something else” involved (eg paranoia?), in addition to her dementia (AD & VD), ordinary sundowning and continuing grieving over the death of her sister.

It’s difficult to identify what the “something else” is. If I can’t explain it to myself, I won’t be able to explain it clearly to hard-pressed medical professionals. Also, I’ve only an opinion to put forward (the “something else” might be simply another big step along the dementia path). I don’t want Mum (and Dad) to be stopped from getting the right kind of help because we don’t give the professionals any useful information they can work with.

Does anything in the following ring any bells with you and your experience please? If you’ve been through this kind of thing, was there anything that worked for you (medication, management technique or whatever)?

The situation …..

I stay a week with my parents when I visit. Mum's behaviour over Christmas seemed wholly different to me from what it was 5 weeks ago. Dad says these changes happened earlier than that (eg long before the snow had confined them to the house).

Mum’s physical health seems OK though her arms were jerking about enough over Christmas to be noticeable (her blood pressure’s well controlled but she’s had at least one TIA) so the VD might be getting worse.

In November, Mum had very little memory, forgot who family members were from time to time, confabulated fairly freely but the stories remained stable for a short while, behaved nastily on occasions only, was emotionally very fragile ... but was still mostly in the real world, engaging with real people and retaining a three-dimensional personality.

This visit, Mum was living virtually all the time in a constantly changing, unreal, self-centred world where her confabulations changed sentence by sentence without her being at all aware of the inconsistencies. As an example:- in less than 2 sentences, her grandfather had a group of lions doing tricks for him, then they became tigers, then they became lions and tigers. She’d largely stopped being herself from the early afternoon onwards, it was like listening to a talking machine that you couldn’t connect with.

I'm guessing the confabulations are both a symptom of Mum's retreat from reality and an inducement to abandon reality faster than her medical condition dictates (it's so much more rewarding to be in a world where you stroke lions or are queen of the dance floor...).

Many of the unrealities have to do with Mum being the centre of social attention and admiration - particularly male admiration - and being successful enough to take other women's men (the phrase reflects how Mum thinks).

The above suggests to me that Mum's self-esteem is at rock bottom and she's not at all sure she can hold onto her own man (she's too ill to recognise the love and care she gets from Dad but probably is subconsciously aware of his growing despair). Mum’s also worried about losing her role, I think – on one occasion, in a “making the point” kind of way, she sat in the chair I normally occupy instead of in her own chair next to Dad and on another she got out the vaccuum cleaner and hoovered (something she’s not done for a long while). Mum fears being left on her own and follows us all about very, very closely. She’s also very appreciative of positive comments about herself and her achievements (Mum doesn’t get enough of these but exhausted carers don’t always remember to pay compliments).

There is now a sustained general nastiness about Mum's perceptions of other people that’s most unlike her previous self. She now "knows" my sister is involved with a stream of unsuitable men, all of whom are taking advantage of her. She "knows" Dad [who isn't my "real Dad" for much of the time] and I are having a relationship (though she loves me so she just wants me to think about whether the relationship will make me happy!!!!!). She "knows" people are always out to steal from others - and from her – whatever they can (this explains why so much in the house gets misplaced or goes missing). She "knows" we are constantly telling her things which aren't true (eg that we're deliberately lying about not being able to see the things and people she sees).

What makes life really unbearable for Dad are Mum's obsessions, aggressive "flips", her anxiety and collapses into heart-rending grief.

As you'd expect, mornings are good times when Mum is most herself. It’s lovely watching her and Dad on a walk together, holding hands. There is also some real contact during our conversations. Afternoons used to be good but are now more dicey (you tread on eggshells trying to avoid confrontations - sometimes you succeed).

Night-times are often terribly distressing for all parties. Mum has physically attacked Dad on a number of occasions (I think she may be developing a habitual response where she expresses her anger and frustration by lashing out) but her fury and fear are mostly expressed verbally. I have asked Dad to talk to her GP and psychiatrist about this but he probably won’t.

There were many occasions over Christmas when we'd be sitting together peacefully and companionably as a family, talking about nothing in particular or listening to the radio, when out of the blue Mum would hurl an accusation or demand at Dad with real venom (eg "You're not my husband!", "Put that off, you'll wake my parents [asleep upstairs]","There ARE people here [imagined strangers]","You did go out last night, don't lie").

Mum is equally likely to be in floods of tears about re-experienced very old and less old bereavements, being alone and homeless with no money and no job, me persisting in my foolishnesses and not taking her advice, etc. Hugs and cuddles don’t help a great deal.

Dad says there's often a sequence of increasing agitation - Mum starts by talking about her parents as alive and present, goes looking for them in all the rooms of the house and becomes very distressed and angry when she doesn’t find them, then says Dad isn't her husband, then insists he takes her "home" / back to work and then may storm out of the house and / or ring each of the family members to get their help. When she storms out, Dad goes with her (putting himself at risk because he can't see in the dark);once Mum has lost her way, he has so far been able to encourage a return home. I think Mum also gets exhausted because of the intense emotional trauma she puts herself through and by the lack of sleep (she can be wandering around until 2.00am or so if she becomes agitated and Dad can’t find a way of getting the lorazepan into her).

We're wondering whether there's some reason to do with her medication or anything else why Mum so frequently "kicks off" within a few minutes of 7.30pm, when she earlier on "kicked off" at 8.45pm. Even more importantly, we wonder whether any changes in medication or our approach to medication would be likely to improve things (eg maybe a much smaller daily dosage of the lorazepan that’s now provided as a dose for emergencies?).

Mum's current medication is as follows:-

MORNING TABLETS

1 Venlafaxine 37.5 mg
(plus 1 Calcium Carbonate 1.25 mg as osteoporosis preventative)

EVENING TABLETS

1 Venlafaxine 75 mg
1 Aricept 5 mg
1 Amladipine (5 mg?)
1 Ramipril 1.5 mg
(plus 1 Calcium Carbonate 1.25 mg as osteoporosis preventative)

SUNDAYS ONLY

1 Alendronic Acid 70 mg

DURING TIMES OF SEVERE AGITATION

A half tablet of Lorazepan 1 mg)

Mum currently attends an AS day centre once a week and will soon have a home visitor for 2 – 3 hours a week. Dad being willing to accept any help with caring is a new and very welcome development.

We’re confused and struggling. Any ideas or suggestions you can offer to help us understand / evaluate what’s happening would be so welcome.

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Well, nobody has yet replied to you, so I hope they are all out enjoying New Year celebrations, and why not?

I don't have first-hand experience of what you describe. But till someone more knowledgeable comes along, I'll do my best. My mum did deteriorate quite rapidly from being confused and unstable, to having delusions. Within days. People were in the house, my dad (who was dead) invited strangers to sleep in the spare room, he had gone to work (retired for 20 years) and not come home, etc. I regarded this as part of her dementia. Oh, my husban's cousin has recently been diagnosed with the illness and he has lions and tigers in his bedroom. My mum was a very mild, accepting woman for all her life, did only menial jobs, whereas it sounds to me that yours was rather a more lively and competent woman, so maybe that means the changes in her are more noticeable and harder to deal with.

If she was always used to being the centre of attention (my mum was never the centre of anything), that could mean a much livelier mind, and hence more imagination and more confidence in her insistences. No comfort for you, cos that kind of woman sounds hard to deal with, and I imagine that if I get this dreaded illness, I will be much the same.

You must tell your dad it is just how the illness progresses. Her outbursts are not really targetted at him, but at anyone who is in the firing line that she recognises, and he is the man. So sad for him, and so difficult, I am sure.

How to resolve it, I do not know. Maybe it can't be resolved. Lorezepan is a muscle relaxant really, not particularly strong. It is used as an anti-depressant and as a sleeping pill. Basically it attempts to relax whatever is causing a problem. But it isn't target-specific, and can actually have side effects of causing a feeling of inadequacy. Maybe this is having a negative effect on your mum, who has previously obviously been a very capable woman. But I not she is only prescribed that when necessary.

I can only suggest you consult your GP very quickly, or your Adult Mental Health Team - or if you have a consultant, contact hin or her. I suspect the Lorezepan isn't having the right effect, but I'm no medic.

Ramipril is for lowering blood pressure, so you shouldn't interfere with that without consulting her GP. 1.5 mg is very low (5 mg per day is common - I take that myself following a slight stroke), so I wouldn't be worrying about that. The Calcium tablet is to protect against osteoporosis I would guess. I don't know what the others are.

Sad to say, but as a non-expert, I feel your mum is just being your mum. A once lively and vibrant person now feeling very frustrated, and maybe your dad needs some help in managing her, or at least getting a break from her.

Hope someone more knowledgeable comes along soon, but please be aware my comments are very amateur and I think you should consult the GP on it all.

Love

Margaret

Last edited:

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
Hi alsoconfused ,
I'd print off your post & show it to the medics. I recognise some of the things you mention from my mum and some from a book called "Keeper" by Andrea Gillies , a true story of caring for a mil with dementia. You might like to try reading it.
Good luck. X

Pacucho

Severe vascular dementia

Hello

I have to say a lot of the behaviour you mention about your mum I also recognise in my mum, who suffers from severe vascular dementia.

I have been caring for my mum for a number of years and I have come to recognise that you cannot think logically about how my mum behaves, acts, etc. This is because of the dementia which has basically messed up her mind.

My mum is usually better in the morning and her mood worsens as the day goes on. The dementia basically makes her confused as she is often asking to go home, see her mum and sisters. She becomes so stressed she often does not sleep one night in four, and the rest of the time is taken to recover from this. Also, she can become aggressive when she feels threatened.

I have learnt the best way to help my mum is to try and keep her as calm as possible, which is easier said than done. Some days are better than others. The first rule on trying to keep my mum calm is agreeing with whatever she says.

One idea I would recommend is whether it is possible for your father to keep a diary of events as they happen, as it may reveal a pattern of behaviour like I identified with my mum.
Hope this helps

Paco

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Your mum's 'sundowning' seems to be getting way beyond coping with without some help from the medical profession.

I think your mum needs to have a vist from a community pychiatric nurse. They are very understanding, highly trained in medication for dementia sufferers and probably better placed than the average GP regarding the latest, most suitable medication for your mum. They are usually in touch with the consultant in charge of your mum and will liase closely with the consultant.

There has been a lot of uproar about 'chemical coshes' largely in the past being misused in care home situations and this has frightened a lot of carers away from seeking medication to help them cope and to help calm the sufferer. However with good supervision and good community psychiatric nurse help, they may be able to suggest a different medication routine which can possibly help calm your mum a little.

Sorry I didn't repond earlier to your post.

xxTinaT

geordie

May 11, 2010
Sorry, can't add any other advice - but do recognise a lot of what you describe and empthaise. I've just looked to purchase teh suggested reading -"Keeper" by Andrea Gillies - there are a number of versions - any recommendations?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi there. My mum is 93 and has Vascular Dementia. She doesn't sound as extreme as your mum but I recognise elements of what you describe. Last year mum's CPN got the doctors to prescribe a low dose of risperidone. This was taken around tea time as this was when her agitation got worse. It has seemed to make a difference. We did, however, feel that she was getting worse again earlier this month and the GP has prescribed another risperidone tablet in the morning.

Her confusion and agitation is always worse when she has a UTI. It's worth keeping a close eye on this.

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
What you describe sounds like a progression in the dementia. The symptoms are all fairly typical of a movement into another stage. As you mum has VD, then it is normal to have sudden declines. The worsening in the late evening is almost certainly the sundowning phenomenon, it is widely recognised although the causes are largely unknown.

It is certainly worth having a review of your mum, by her GP, CPN or consultant. There may be medications which will help. Of the ones she is taking now:

Venlafaxine is an anti-depressant.
Aricept is a treatment for Alzheimer's. 5mg per day is half of the maximum dose - is there any reason why your mum wasn't moved to 10mg?
Amlapidine is used for several conditions, it is probably for blood-pressure. It may also be used for angina.
Ramipril is also used for high blood pressure, it works in a different way. It is common for people with other health problems to be given low doses of several drugs that operate in different ways but have similar effects, rather than a high dose of a single drug.

Lorazepam is a powerful, rapidly acting benzodiazepine (commonly known as "tranquilisers" because of their anti-anxiety, sedating, muscle-relaxant properties). 0.5mg is a fairly low dose. They are usually not recommended for long-term or regular use because of the problems of dependency and tolerance. Patients will rapidly develop a dependency on the drug, experiencing side-effects on withdrawal, whilst the beneficial effects reduce over time.

It is certainly worth having a medical review. It is common for anti-psychotics medications to be used with anxiety and agression. As Tine has said, there has been much press about the inappropriate use of such drugs (for example, the convenient sedation of care-home residents) and possible increased risk of strokes - but there is a place for them.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Also confused

I recognise much of what you have described, (my mum had mixed dementia)

I too was wondering why your mum is on a low dose of Aricept, thats the dose they normally start with and if tolerated well its normally increased.

It does sound like mum is sundowning,there was a time when my mums sundowning started round 1 30 pm

do check for a uti often these infecions in someone who has dementia are silent ie no symptoms other than sudden much increased confusion ect.

I was told by mums consultant that he would not take mum off Ebixa (memantine) as it could be helping with the agitation.so that might be something you may want to look into.

Nan2seven

Apr 11, 2009
Dorset
So much of what you have described about your mum's behaviour is very familiar to me. My husband was diagnosed with vascular dementia in February '09, but with hindsight it was clearly there since his stroke in December '07, when he spent the next seven weeks in hospital.

Brian is now further along the dementia road that your mum, I would say, but the non-recognition of those nearest to her i.e. your father, came as something of a shock to me when it began to happen with Brian. He frequently took me for a cousin, usually the same cousin, or his sister, or even his mother, or frequently some nameless carer. Sometimes I would discover by accident through the day that he thought he was with someone else - as at a supermarket checkout, "Are you expecting me to pay for all this? When it's for you?" "It's for both of us, sweetheart." "But you'll be taking this home to your own house ..."

The frequent wanting to be taken home - because he no longer recognised this house (ours for 23 years) as his own, the remark one day that "Three women have recently claimed me to be their husband" when on each of those occasions it had been I trying to explain to him who I was, the flat disbelief that this house was ours, that it was a supermarket, the doctor's surgery, his mother's house, the failure to grasp that he no longer went to work, or played football, or belonged to a boxing club, or was at sea ... I dealt with all of those situations through 2009 and some even more bizarre ones in 2008 when I thought he was recovering from the stroke but actually showing all the symptoms of vascular dementia, the confabulation being very marked while still in hospital.

It seems to me that your dear mum has just taken another "step down" in her progress of VaD. The "nastiness" you mention is sadly another aspect of it, and I get a lot of that with Brian. Sudden flashes of anger and just plain rudeness at times. And he has struck out a few times as well.

If it is at all possible, I would try and get your GP to prescribe something other than Amlodipine for your mum. Brian was on it for a while, until I pointed out one of the side effects (it affected the blood platelets and he already has a blood disorder connected to production of platelets) - but other side effects are "Sleep disorders, mood changes including anxiety, depression" and "Rare (1 to 10 users in 10,000) confusion". (I kept the pill package information leaflet in case it should ever be prescribed again - and it was, recently in hospital. He was taken off it the same day.) It is difficult to tell with an illness like dementia, but I thought Brian's general demeanour improved when he got the Amlodipine out of his system.

I feel so much for you and for your father. Would he perhaps log on occasionally to this website, do you think? I have learned so much here and had wonderful support and friendship since becoming a member of TP.

I hope a little of what I have written might be of some help to you.

Love, Nan XXX

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
Thanks so much to everyone who's replied, with so much helpful advice. You've made me feel calmer about the situation at the very least!

Will go back over your replies several times (to take everything in), then use them in talking to the GP and psychiatrist. Will also pass them on to Dad (if that's possible - eg private phone calls aren't really possible)and to my siblings.

My strong, incredibly resilient and optimistic, always protective Dad is reaching breaking point. We have to try to protect him better.

Mum's been a super partner, Mum and business ally. She was one of our wider family's carers. She did most of the looking after of her own Mum and supported Aunts and Grandad. We would so have loved a serene old age for her and Dad.

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
Several posters asked about the low dose of Aricept. As I remember it, Mum's dosage of Aricept was reduced by her psychiatrist because the higher dose seemed to worsen her hallucinations.

Am including this info partly as a courtesy to everyone kindly offering me suggestions and advice; and partly because someone else may be looking round for ideas on reducing their family member's hallucinations.

Thanks again to everybody. Let's hope for a better 2011.

miss cool

Jul 20, 2010
taunton
HI ALsoconfused i have just read your thread , the nature of this illness is all of the things you have mentioned. normel progretion i would say. if they up the arocept she could become more violent as one of the side effects. its a devel if you do and a devel if you dont saying. i wish you could see inside my head you would understand haw we think and live , reality plays no part. anger ,frustration, every thing is upside down in our world. i dont now if this helps ore not but i felt i had to say my peace. just to give a little understanding.

love miss cool.xxxxxxxxxxxxx

judyacave

Nov 4, 2010
northants
My mum also suffers with vascula dementia, she is 96 years old, she can get nasty with me, she also talks about many relatives who have passed away and will get nasty when I tell her that they have gone, she does remember when I tell her various events that have happened, but she gets nasty with me, she gets worse as the day goes on, by night time I have to lock doors to keep her in, I find this website extremly helpful. To read the post, it can take your mind off of things. If she gets really bad I have to leave the room for a bit, I don't know whether it helps Mum but it helps me. She believes she has babies to look after and I am keeping her from them. I think her mind is going back to when she was younger. She also thinks she lives at places she lived years ago..
Sometimes when she says strange things, I realise it is something she has watched on tele, like she is living out what she has seen.I find it difficult to give her enough to stimulate her all day, the tele and newspapers are good, also music.

I hope you get some more help with your Mum, things can get very hard.

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
Miss Cool - thanks for shedding light on what it feels like to live the dementia from the inside. It's hell for everyone but it must be most ghastly for the person with the dementia. Thanks also for your warning about the potential side effects of upping the Aricept.

Judy - totally relate to your comments. I find even the week I spend with my parents often harrowing and draining and that's knowing I will soon escape to my real life back here.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joins