What sort of a question is that?

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
My husband has at last received an appointment for the memory clinic. They've also sent a couple of forms to fill in. One of them has to be filled in on the day of the appointment and asks "We would like to know how good or bad your health is TODAY. " The scale is numbered from 0 to 100. 100 means the best health you can imagine. 0 means the worst health you can imagine.
I don't know if they mean physical health or mental health or the combination of both. It's not something he can answer himself, but I'm not sure I can either.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @jenniferjean
I have never thought much of that type of question .... so I tend to write on the form whatever I actually want to reply
for this one, if there's room I'd say what you have said ... ie not sure if mental or physical, patient can't say for himself, as his wife I'd guess x% for mental health y% for physical
if they don't like that, too bad?
might make them rethink their questionaire (probably not)

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
That is an odd question, @jenniferjean. My partner's physical and mental health both go up and down from day to day and sometimes in the space of a day. I can imagine your husband has similar fluctuations. Writing something in the margins to explain that, and maybe emphasising a recent bad day, seems like a valid option as Shedrech says.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
maybe it's a simplistic way for them to begin to guage whether a physical health issue is affecting the person's responses at that moment; an attempt to put the tests in some context?

millalm

Oct 9, 2019
If he cannot answer the question because of his mental state I would be tempted to write 'Do not have the ability to respond to this question' Perhaps that will give them context. That just seems like a silly question to ask someone who has been waiting for a long time for an appointment at a Memory Clinic.
Best of Luck!

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
If he cannot answer the question because of his mental state I would be tempted to write 'Do not have the ability to respond to this question' Perhaps that will give them context. That just seems like a silly question to ask someone who has been waiting for a long time for an appointment at a Memory Clinic.
Best of Luck!
Thank you. That's exactly what I'm going to do.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
My husband has at last received an appointment for the memory clinic. They've also sent a couple of forms to fill in. One of them has to be filled in on the day of the appointment and asks "We would like to know how good or bad your health is TODAY. " The scale is numbered from 0 to 100. 100 means the best health you can imagine. 0 means the worst health you can imagine.
I don't know if they mean physical health or mental health or the combination of both. It's not something he can answer himself, but I'm not sure I can either.
Aged Mother was asked that question in the appointment - self awareness of your own health & welfare. it was entertaining as the response & tone in which it was given gave a bigger picture of her situation than any “well how are you today”s from her GP!
it seems a weird question but then our minds are mostly an unknown quantity & dementia a unique experience
Just leave blank any questions you aren’t sure about.
The answers reveal more than at face value.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Mum was (unintentionally) hilarious when the doctor visited her at the CH. It would start off sensibly enough: 'So, Mrs H, you've been having some back pain?' Mum: 'Yes. It starts at the bottom and goes all the way up and over my head. But I've got a rash on my arm. (No rash!) Look - it's going purple now. It was green yesterday. They've all got it now - that's why they've all been sacked. And I've been in hospital to have my leg off again...' ?

Fortunately we skipped the memory clinic part as mum had a fall and went from completely independent living (undiagnosed albeit confused and waiting for a crisis) to 24/7 care overnight.

As others have said, I would put on the form all the things you want them to know about how your husband is on a bad day.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiabarbour