What should I have done?

ringtor

Nov 5, 2008
Devon
My husband, 80, has Alz and VD in the middle stage. He is fine if I am around but is lost and wanders if he cant find me - even with a note on the kitchen table eg. 'gone for milk'.
I fell head first onto concrete and got concussed. I was dizzy and vomiting. I dialled 999 but was told that there was no return transport from A&E (Sunday evng) and someone must collect me (20 mls) and no emergency care for husband. Docs surgury, Mon mng, said no visits, take taxi or husband to drive to surgury - still vomiting!
I gave up, rang a GP friend in Scotland who said headache or watering ears is serious otherwise stay in bed. A month later I am still queasy but getting chores done.
If the carer has an accident how do you get emergency care for husband? I am not accident prone (last beaten up by a cow 20yrs ago) but I need information. Can anyone advise?

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
I have this worry too, except that I do have a step daughter who lives locally . However I also have a number to ring for Mental Health Team I think it is. They will not deal with any day to day problems as we are self funding but when I queried with them about an emergency they told me that THEN AND ONLY THEN WOULD THEY TAKE OVER.

My step daughter has the number and I suspect I have it too somewhere.

I am " luckier" now as my husband is terminally ill with prostate cancer so I have an emergency number for Macmillan nurses which is active 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

This is what you need.

Also you need " message in a bottle" which is a capsule with a first aid cross on it, with details of your husbands illnesses, and medications, and one for yourself.

These are usually kept in the fridge. You are also given stickers, and I have one on the fridge and one on the front door inside and one outside too.

Our local chemist has these on display at the moment, and they are free. Usually through Lions or Rotary.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Monday morning I would get in touch with the Local Authority Switchboard and ask to speak to the emergency response social worker. Then at least next time you will have a phone number and a name to help you.

Also if you do have to go to hospital and are admitted there is always a social worker on call there who you could speak to regarding the safety of your husband during your hospital stay.

As for the ambulance situation, of course this should not be but we have to face the fact that such deep cuts in budgeting has meant that nowadays we will not always get ambulance transport and will be left to get ourselves (and dependant husband) there ourselves by whatever means we can.

I hope that by being a little more prepared next time (of course I hope next time never happens) it will ease your mind if such a situation arises.

xxTinaT

Last edited:

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
We also have Crossroads Care who step in when the carer gets ill. There has to be something in your area. I might even call the out of hours doctors explain the situation as they should know who to contact or social services adult safeguarding team.

I hope you are feeling better soon.

withy

Feb 23, 2013
Lancashire
Here in Lancashire we have "Peace of Mind 4 Carers".which provides emergency 72hours care in the home in an emergency. You carry a key fob and card with ID number, and the plan is put into place for you, giving time for more permanent care to be fixed up if needed. Its a free service, but am not sure if it is countrywide.

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Carer's absence

I registered with our local
My husband, 80, has Alz and VD in the middle stage. He is fine if I am around but is lost and wanders if he cant find me - even with a note on the kitchen table eg. 'gone for milk'.
I don't know if this helps but I carry a Carers Emergency Card issued by our local council in conjunction with Crossroads. They contact whoever you have nominated and also ensure that the person concerned is not left alone. I am not sure what arrangements they make in an emergency as fortunately I haven't had to use it yet (touch wood!!) but it's a little bit of comfort. Have also been referred to get a pendant to call for help in an emergency after I asked my husband what he would do if he found me on the floor and he said 'nothing!!!' He probably wouldn't as he won't answer the door, talk to neighbours or answer the phone and we only have a sitter coming in on a Tuesday pm, so I dread to think what would happen if that was the case.

benjie

Apr 14, 2009
north staffs
I also carried a card which was issued by the local Carers Association, My hubby had a sitter with him once a week and they would arrange for emergency care and also I had a card in the window, in my car and a small carton in the fridge giving details of who I care for and any medications either of us are on, all issued by the local Lions group.

farrand

Jun 4, 2013
hampshire
farrand

I also carried a card which was issued by the local Carers Association, My hubby had a sitter with him once a week and they would arrange for emergency care and also I had a card in the window, in my car and a small carton in the fridge giving details of who I care for and any medications either of us are on, all issued by the local Lions group.

i have a care plan for such emergency with the princes trust. they will give 24 hour care if the carer has to go unexpectedly into hospital. i think we got it through social services. age-concern might be able to give you details.it is a worry to all us carers. good luck.

LAP

Nov 23, 2010
Tyne & Wear
I fell head first onto concrete and got concussed. I was dizzy and vomiting. I dialled 999 but was told that there was no return transport from A&E (Sunday evng) and someone must collect me (20 mls) and no emergency care for husband. Docs surgury, Mon mng, said no visits, take taxi or husband to drive to surgury - still vomiting!
I gave up, rang a GP friend in Scotland who said headache or watering ears is serious otherwise stay in bed. A month later I am still queasy but getting chores done.
If the carer has an accident how do you get emergency care for husband? I am not accident prone (last beaten up by a cow 20yrs ago) but I need information. Can anyone advise?

My daughter [ a police officer] says -- do not quote me !!!!! RING THE POLICE MOTHER. You will then get help whether they want to or not !!!!!!!!!!!!!

They all have mothers and fathers and with the best will in the world although it may not be their job, they will help. Trust me.