What should I do ?

15l

Oct 28, 2015
Hello- I am beside myself with worry. My mum has recently been saying that when she watches Tv or reads the newspaper, she has seen it all before. She hates the feeling and knows it's not quite normal. Looking on here it looks as though the cause could be Alzheimer's as she is 80. In other respects her memory is great - she regularly goes out and sees friends and remembers conversations and events. I am really worried that this could be early onset of Alzheimer's. I am really scared that if we visit her GP and he says she has Alzhemers, then she will not be able to cope and will make herself ill with worry. She worries at the slightest thing and I know if she knew she had Alzheimer's, she'd make herself ill through the worry. She has a close friend with late stage Alzheimer's and would be so afraid of becoming like her. I can't stop worrying and I don't know what to do for the best. Can anyone please help or advise me pleas please please? I love my mum so much and want to do the best for her.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Hello and welcome...By the good age of 80, Mum probably has seen all there is worth watching on TV:rolleyes:.
If, however there are other things in her behaviour which are causing concern, why not keep a diary of all that is strange or quirky and make an appointment with her GP to discuss her health. Often we suggest asking her GP to give her a Well Woman check up, having primed him first of your concerns.
It may be that she is depressed or lonely. It may be Dementia, no one can tell without testing and check ups. If she seems fit and well, then she probably is fit and well and simply fed up with bad news and lousy TV.
I would also suggest that, if you have not discussed it yet, have a look at the OPG website regarding LPAs ( Lasting Power of Attorney for Health and Welfare, and Finance and Legal) as the time may come when Mum ceases to have the capacity to make her own decisions, and having these forms in place early on will save a lot of hassle later.
Take care and come back anytime. Maureen.x

loveahug

Nov 28, 2012
Moved to Leicester
Hi 15l and wlecome to Talking Point. There are lots of lovely people on here who will be able to offer advice and reassurance. My point of view is that your mum does not necessarily have dementia. She may have MCI (Mild cognitive impairment) or may not. Thinking you've seen or read something before is quite common in older people. At the end of the day there are only so many plots and game show and 'reality' show formats it's hard to work out if something is new or not if you've been a tv watcher for a great number of years. Even the newspapers seem to constantly recycle the silly stuff. If there are no other signs to worry you I would just reassure her and then keep an eye on how she progresses. It's too easy to catastrophise in these circumstances. She's doing well for 80 and is lucky to have someone to watch over her and care :)

Best wishes x

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
At 80 she probably has seen it all before. At 60 I watch tv and say the same sometimes, old story lines being given a different twist. Read the newspapers and say nothing changes. If you are really concerned then as someone has recommended, try to keep a diary of what she does/say and a discreet look around her home, just to see if things are slipping. Of course it could be depression and this can be treated.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
There is only a finite number of stories out there. Shakespeare's stories constantly get recycled and adapted for modern times but even he was recycling his stories from far older ones! I am not trying to belittle your Mum's feelings, but that alone isn't a sign of dementia. Try to observe her closely and see whether anything else might be wrong, but don't let her worry unduly.

15l

Oct 28, 2015
Thanks Maureen

Thank you for your message- I found it really helpful and sound advice. I will ask the GP for the Well woman test but speak to him first- definitely. You have really made a difference .
X

QUOTE=cragmaid;1186514]Hello and welcome...By the good age of 80, Mum probably has seen all there is worth watching on TV:rolleyes:.
If, however there are other things in her behaviour which are causing concern, why not keep a diary of all that is strange or quirky and make an appointment with her GP to discuss her health. Often we suggest asking her GP to give her a Well Woman check up, having primed him first of your concerns.
It may be that she is depressed or lonely. It may be Dementia, no one can tell without testing and check ups. If she seems fit and well, then she probably is fit and well and simply fed up with bad news and lousy TV.
I would also suggest that, if you have not discussed it yet, have a look at the OPG website regarding LPAs ( Lasting Power of Attorney for Health and Welfare, and Finance and Legal) as the time may come when Mum ceases to have the capacity to make her own decisions, and having these forms in place early on will save a lot of hassle later.
Take care and come back anytime. Maureen.x[/QUOTE]

15l

Oct 28, 2015
Thank you

Hi 15l and wlecome to Talking Point. There are lots of lovely people on here who will be able to offer advice and reassurance. My point of view is that your mum does not necessarily have dementia. She may have MCI (Mild cognitive impairment) or may not. Thinking you've seen or read something before is quite common in older people. At the end of the day there are only so many plots and game show and 'reality' show formats it's hard to work out if something is new or not if you've been a tv watcher for a great number of years. Even the newspapers seem to constantly recycle the silly stuff. If there are no other signs to worry you I would just reassure her and then keep an eye on how she progresses. It's too easy to catastrophise in these circumstances. She's doing well for 80 and is lucky to have someone to watch over her and care :)

Best wishes x

Thank you so much for your kind words. I am in the dark with this so your thoughts have helped so much. I will take mum to the GP - MCI may be the reason. I have told her that at 80 you probably have seen it all before etc but what she describes is a sense of deejay vu all of the time when reading or watching tv and this feeling is horrible.
So I definitely think there is something amiss but maybe it's not as bad as I first anticipated.
Thank you- for a moment I was lost and your words have helped me be strong for my mum again.
X

15l

Oct 28, 2015
Thank you

There is only a finite number of stories out there. Shakespeare's stories constantly get recycled and adapted for modern times but even he was recycling his stories from far older ones! I am not trying to belittle your Mum's feelings, but that alone isn't a sign of dementia. Try to observe her closely and see whether anything else might be wrong, but don't let her worry unduly.

Thank you for your reassuring words. Everyone has been so helpful x

15l

Oct 28, 2015
At 80 she probably has seen it all before. At 60 I watch tv and say the same sometimes, old story lines being given a different twist. Read the newspapers and say nothing changes. If you are really concerned then as someone has recommended, try to keep a diary of what she does/say and a discreet look around her home, just to see if things are slipping. Of course it could be depression and this can be treated.

Thank you for your reply - I will take your advice and discreetly monitor x