What should I do? Suggestions Please

twink

Oct 28, 2005
Cambridgeshire UK
driving with AD

Sorry to repeat myself but it was quite simple for my husband, he was diagnosed in August, the psychiatrist said I have to tell you you shouldn't drive then gave us a phone number for the assessment centre. I rang them, got an appointment, went there and he was given cognitive tests which he was absolutely hopeless at and then he was taken on a drive with two people and then told he was fine to drive. He has to go back in a years time to take it again. I wrote and told the DVLA and his insurance company, the DVLA have written back only recently and asked me to send in his driving licence and they will send him a yearly one.

I realise it was much easier because we were with the psychiatrist, he said you shouldn't drive now you have been diagnosed and told us of this place but if people won't go and have the test (assessment) I don't know what you can do.

Twink/Sue

Worried Woman

Jan 7, 2006
Dorset
The problem is that my Mother has not been diagnosed.

I have only realised this week that she is showing signs of dementia and getting her diagnosed will be a struggle as she is VERY sure that there is nothing wrong with her.

The driving licence question has only come up as she is over 70 and has to renew it every 3 years. This seems to consist of her filling in a form to certify herself fit to drive, sending it off and she gets another 3 year licence.

I

inmyname

Scares me rigid to think that someone with AD could possibly at an assesment centre be passed fit to drive when they failed the cognitive tests

My Mother cant tell you the name of any flower and she used to know all the latin names never mind the ordinary ones

She does not know the names of her grandchildren or great grandchildren
so how on earth could she know what the road signs mean ?

cynron

Sep 26, 2005
east sussex
driving licence

When my husband had to fill in the form to renew when he was 73, I filled it in and made sure i ticked the boxes that would ring the alarms (mini Strokes etc) The answer was of course no more driving.He was most upset and a lady from memory clinic came and tested him with a table top test involving junctions and roundabouts and as expected he failed. So now he just sits beside me as i drive and keeps his fingers crossed. I will say he never was fined for speeding but in my first year of taking over the driving I was fined and had 3 points on my licence. Naughty speeding Nanny. :eek: :eek:

I

inmyname

Getting 3 points on your licence for a speeding fine is dead easy these days

So many cameras are set to click at 31mph in a 30 mph zone that you need to drive at 27 mph to allow the 10 % margin for error of your speedometer

At 89 I dont think anyone should be driving least of all someone with AD

I have to care for 4 grandchildren because their mother was injured by an idiot driving too fast round a bend on the wrong side of the road

I cant believe an Assesment Centre would pass an AD patient thats unbelievable

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
I agree with Norman - I am sure the GP has to sign for a 70 yr old +.. Any worried carer should talk to the GP who will probably feel responsible enough to make the appropriate comments on the DVLA form.
Following David's diagnosis the appropriate form came from the DVLA and I persuaded him to see the GP about it - stressing that he had to sign it anyway. This invoved a sensitive discussion when the Doc suggested he should not drive - was accepted reluctantly and basically no problem since.
BeckyJan

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa