What questions should we ask…….

Debby Short

May 29, 2008
Near Heathrow Airport
My mum has just spent 8 weeks in hospital having her medication sorted (she is 65 and in last stages of AZ), they have now said that she can go into a Nursing Home, but she has to go into an EMI unit.

My Sister & Dad are going to look at a home tomorrow, and want to know what sort of questions they should be asking.

If anyone could give us some advice we would be really grateful.

Thanks for you help.
Debs
xx

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Yes I have read Tina's post and it is invaluable.

Do look at your own person though. Tina wanted alternative places for her to go, I want just one, cos mum can't find her way around. I also wanted the lounge to be near to her bedroom, hence us paying about £50 a week extra for such a room cos it is supposed to be a double room, but the others available were miles away.

I could add a load of other stuff to consider, but some of it is not provable until your loved one is actually there. How often do they get a bath? Is there a shower? Does your loved one like a shower or is perhaps scared of it? Do religious ministers visit - mum seems to be the only person out of 25 80+ year olds to have any religious connection at all. A representative from her church visits every month (I arranged it), but nobody else seems to bother, I can't quite believe that is right.

Is there an activities co-ordinator? Your parent might like one, just to do armchair exercises, carpet bowls, read poetry, do some painting. Mum enjoyed colouring in some pictures though she has no artistic bent at all. It keep the mind active and hand co-ordination going.

Does the home do trips out? Just a drive into the countryside helps. How often?

All of the above was important to me, so I chose a home which matched. Within weeks the activities co-ordinator was sacked (not up to scratch), the outside trips stopped (no-one able to drive the vehicle) and everything else ceased as well, including baths.

One year one it is improving again. Fingers crossed.

Oh, it is a job, isn't it?

Love

Margaret

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
Dear Deb,

I hope that your father and sister are successfully in finding a suitable C/H. Heavens forbid that I am placed in that situation again, but if so, then my first priority would definitely be staff/resident ratio. Another helpful hint I received from TP was keeping a diary.

Best Wishes to you all

Love Taffy.

Debby Short

May 29, 2008
Near Heathrow Airport
Thank you for your reply's, Tina's e-mail is great, I have complied a list of questions which I have sent to my sister. Unfortunately mum has no choice but to go into an EMI unit, although they seem to have finally stabilised her meds, she does get violent still occassionally and they needs controlling.

Mum's case also goes to the CHC panel today, it was deferred last week and a member of the panel visited mum in hospial so fingers crossed.

It just all seems an uphill struggle at the moment, hopefully things will get better soon.

Thank you all for your support.
Debby
xx