What purpose do these memory tests serve?

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Difficult to answer this one. I can understand how your Father feels, I would be the same.

On the other hand, to be tested means to get an answer to his problems. It need not be any form of dementia, so many other illnesses present with confusion or memory loss.

My husband had a memory problem, not severe and only noticeable by close family. He agreed to see the Doctor and from there he had blood tests and a MRI scan and was diagnosed as having alzheimers. He was 62. He was prescribed Aricept and lived a nearly normal life, ran a business with the aid of notebooks in every pocket. It was 4 years before things started to slide and he was at home for a further 3 years. I believe the early diagnosis got him the medication and so gave him 4 quality years before the steady decline over the next three years with the rapid decline at the end.

Everyone is different and if your Father does not want to be tested then you have to respect his decision. It will mean him not receiving any help and the thought of there may be something wrong will always be there. My thought is that it is always best to know what you are facing and then make up your mind what you want to do about it.

I agree with the tests. My husband scored higher as the disease progressed. Also have to agree the results will vary as to good days and bad days. Scans and blood tests are far more reliable.

Jay

woodsnake

Jan 29, 2013
disempowerment

thank you stanleypj and jaymor:)
Two differing takes on the situ. It's a tough one isn't it?
I do not want to be responsible for not persuading dad to take medication that could slow down his condition, and you are right jaymor, maybe it's something other than dementia/alzheimers.
I have another line of inquiry about the test diagnosis and dads legal welfare. We are currently undergoing a legal asset protection plan which includes power of attorney with a solicitor. Will proceeding with the tests influence dads ability to conclude this?

What is the score out of 30 that means dad would be declared mentally incompetent? or does it not work like that? he does not do well in tests or under pressure and I am worried that he will be stripped of his right to make decisions and drive etc.

If he is I fear that that could be very disempowering for him and he may become depressed and his health may decline more rapidly than if he just continues as normal for now seeing as he is still very capable in so many ways.
Any thoughts?

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
When my mother was asked to write a sentence she wrote
'What is the point of these daft questions?'.

She would still write the same but her hand-writing would be a scrawl and she would now be afraid of what would happen because of her 'failure'.

She knows, we know and they know.

Grandma Joan

Mar 29, 2013
Wiltshire
thank you stanleypj and jaymor:)
Two differing takes on the situ. It's a tough one isn't it?
I do not want to be responsible for not persuading dad to take medication that could slow down his condition, and you are right jaymor, maybe it's something other than dementia/alzheimers.
I have another line of inquiry about the test diagnosis and dads legal welfare. We are currently undergoing a legal asset protection plan which includes power of attorney with a solicitor. Will proceeding with the tests influence dads ability to conclude this?

What is the score out of 30 that means dad would be declared mentally incompetent? or does it not work like that? he does not do well in tests or under pressure and I am worried that he will be stripped of his right to make decisions and drive etc.

If he is I fear that that could be very disempowering for him and he may become depressed and his health may decline more rapidly than if he just continues as normal for now seeing as he is still very capable in so many ways.
Any thoughts?

Hi Woodsnake
Our solicitor wanted us to arrange Health & Welfare POA's and she talked to Dad. It was touch and go but she decided he had the mental capacity to make that decision based on her discussions with him & the GP. We asked if he could change his will as he had set up a complicated system to avoid IHT which is no longer an issue but she was not happy to do that.

carolgodfrey

Jun 18, 2012
my dad also gets upset when he doesn't remember things, he wrings his hands and picks his nails. we all try to keep him calm, but sometimes if we can't shield him, he gets stressed. on the other hand, if we don't encourage dad to do things for himself, he gets complacent, and will sit and let everyone do everything for him. we are stuck in the middle. when people go to assess him, he always seems ok, that's because he has rehearsed answers, if only sometimes they would rephrase the question, they would soon see that dad doesn't actually have all the answers/ it makes me mad sometimes. i must say we are also taken in, we visit dad for hours on end, coming away saying dad was in good form today, only for someone to ring an hour later and dad saying no-one had been!!:confused: oh well, sorry for going on, onwards we all go!!