What PPE do I need for carers?

Housefleece

Jun 7, 2017
Hi all

I'm looking for some advice on what PPE my mother should be providing for the carers that come in to the house to help with my dad. They are not employed through an agency - my mum pays them directly. What is the recommended equipment? And any advice as to where to get them from would great.

Many thanks

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
The carers who come into my house for OH all have latex gloves, a plastic apron and a face shield. The apron and gloves get binned after every visit, but the face shield is perspex and is wiped over with antiseptic between visits. I know that other agencies use a medical grade mask instead of a face shield. Im afraid that I have no idea where you could get them from.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Have the carers only just started visiting your dad as it seems a bit late to think about the PPE they need. As bunpoots has mentioned, if they are professional carers I would expect them to provide their own PPE, agency or not, and to be familiar with infection control.

For info, there is extensive government guidance with regards to PPE requirements. This varies dependant on the setting, whether someone has covid symptoms or not, is shielding etc: https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...-personal-protective-equipment-ppe#section-10

Housefleece

Jun 7, 2017
My mum stopped them from coming when the quarantine started but she's struggling to cope on her own and wants them to start coming in again. Thanks for the info.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
If your mother employs them directly without an agency then I believe it is her duty to provide the PPE.
I would start by contacting the carers and explaining you are very happy to pay for PPE would they be kind enough to help you obtain some?
Prices have risen as you probably know.

AlisonI

Aug 22, 2013
I employ a carer for my husband through self directed payments. The council contacted me at the start of lockdown to ask what PPE I had and supplied me with gloves, aprons and masks and in the last few weeks has also given me plastic visors. They deliver the PPE to me once a fortnight. We are in Scotland so it may be different for England but it might be worth contacting your local authority.