What power does the OPG have?

Jazzy007

Feb 21, 2020
Hi all,
I posted on this forum months ago as my mum, with POA for my dad had stopped me from Finding out how he is at the residential home he lives in - Told the home not to give me any info . I live overseas and so was only calling to find out, no interaction with my dad himself as he doesn’t know who I am now.
Thanks to some amazing advice I received on here I raised a query with the OPGin August as she is no longer acting in his best interests, and am waiting to hear any thing from them. I know it can take months to do the investigation But I wondered - if my mother refuses to answer questions or be involved in the investigation, what happens? I’m pretty sure she will ignore letters and calls so I don’t know what power the OPG have in these circumstances. If anyone knows and could let me know it would be really helpful!
Thanks!

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
But I wondered - if my mother refuses to answer questions or be involved in the investigation, what happens? I’m pretty sure she will ignore letters and calls so I don’t know what power the OPG have in these circumstances. If anyone knows and could let me know it would be really helpful!
Thanks!

Best not to pre-empt what may or may not happen during the investigation but the OPG will also consider the evidence that you have provided to support your claim that your mun is not acting in your dad's best interests. Not sure if this helps, but this link explains how they carry out investigations and an outcome may be mediation between the attorney and other people interested in the care of the person at risk:

Carrying out an investigation does not necessarily mean there has been fraud or abuse. Often the outcome of investigations shows there is nothing wrong happening. In some instances, an investigation may not result in any action being taken against the attorney/deputy but may result in providing guidance to the donor or the attorney/deputy.

In other instances, mediation between the attorney/deputy and others interested in the care of the person at risk may be appropriate.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Hi @Jazzy007 !
I can be no help at all and hopefully someone else will come along and assist.

I wanted to first send you good wishes and hope your problem gets rectified.

Secondly to thank you for coming back with information. Others have your problem, but seldom communicate again so forum watchers then don’t learn anything much from the post. If you do get the time in the future to post back with any information that would be so good.
You have the additional complication of living abroad which must make this so frustrating on top of all those other emotions. Good luck with the eventual outcome!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa