What next?

Julia.Rollo

Jul 15, 2020
I just lost my beloved Dad to dementia, 11 days ago. He died peacefully in his bed surrounded by his kids and his wife, my mother.
I live abroad and was not able to travel to see him as we planned, to go for Easter, after seen him last time 1st Jan. My sibling rang me a week before his death, end of June, that it would be better to take next available flight (Corona virus) . I made it in time. My dad gave me 3 days with him before he passed away. . It was so tough as we organised funeral, which was within 5 days. He now is at peace. I had to go back home and it feels it has not sunk in yet. He was not the same in last 18-24 months and I fell in hole last year, with depression. I had lost my beloved father to the most horrible illness there is.
I believe I did grief for him then. There is a massive relief that he waited for me to come over so that he can die. Dying at HOME in his bed with his family by his side is a massive privilege. I will be always grateful. He will leave a massive gap in my life. I am doing the Memory Walk for him, a day after his 81st Birthday. I so miss him. Julia

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Dear Julia,

I am so sorry to hear this but at least your lovely dad was surrounded by his family. Also he would have been very proud of you and he will be with you in spirit when you do
your walk. Please keep posting here as this is a wonderful site.

MaNaAk

CWR

Mar 17, 2019
I just lost my beloved Dad to dementia, 11 days ago. He died peacefully in his bed surrounded by his kids and his wife, my mother.
I live abroad and was not able to travel to see him as we planned, to go for Easter, after seen him last time 1st Jan. My sibling rang me a week before his death, end of June, that it would be better to take next available flight (Corona virus) . I made it in time. My dad gave me 3 days with him before he passed away. . It was so tough as we organised funeral, which was within 5 days. He now is at peace. I had to go back home and it feels it has not sunk in yet. He was not the same in last 18-24 months and I fell in hole last year, with depression. I had lost my beloved father to the most horrible illness there is.
I believe I did grief for him then. There is a massive relief that he waited for me to come over so that he can die. Dying at HOME in his bed with his family by his side is a massive privilege. I will be always grateful. He will leave a massive gap in my life. I am doing the Memory Walk for him, a day after his 81st Birthday. I so miss him. Julia
You can take great consolation from being there at the end. I found the time I spent at my mum's deathbed precious. She was safe in bed; I wasnt worried about her as I was at home, in case she fell again. I think time spent at a loved one's side like that is really special. There will still be dificult days ahead- my mum passed away at the end of November and after feeling relief at being spared the constant anxiety over her, now I think back to the times before dementia. You need to remember the good things. Take care

Julia.Rollo

Jul 15, 2020
Thank you for your reply. It means a lot and your words are so true. This is how I feel. Grateful that he waited for me and like you also a huge relief that I could be by his side. Your kind words mean a lot and my condolences to you too

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuzieMK27