What more can I do

Felix123

Mar 13, 2015
Tamworth
My mum has been suffering with heart disease for over a year and she has been diagnosed with dementia but is at end of life stage heart disease. We have been told there is nothing that can be done to help my mum. I am feeling that there is more I must be able to do for. I am feeling really helpless as I do not know where to go for advice. I have seen the dementia friends have a friends session which I am going to next week. It is getting worse though as this morning she called me back and did not remember speaking to me 5 mins before. She does not know what day of the week it is and I have got her the dementia electronic clock but do not think that is helping. It is my partners birthday this weekend and she thought she got him a shaving kit but it is a Royal Jelly set bless her. I love her to bits as most daughters love their mothers and I would do anything I possible could for her so any advise I can get will be gratefully received. Thank you

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im sorry, Tamworth - its pretty devastating when you first get a diagnosis of dementia. You dont say what sort it is, but I guess from the heart disease that its vascular dementia.

Unfortunately, there is very little that can be done for dementia - there is no cure and drugs like aricept (given for Alzheimers) will only slow the symptoms down for a while (as mums consultant put it "it will help her to remember things a little bit better for a little bit longer"). Other than that, Im afraid you can only try and help the symptoms of things like sleeplessness, hallucinations etc as they arise.

If she is in end stage heart disease, then the best thing is to make her as comfortable as possible.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Dear Felix123, Sorry to read your thread. I guess all you can do is spend as much time as you can with her and help her to continue to do what she wants to do, especially the things that make her happy. Try not to dwell on the things she is forgetting. Time or day really doesn't matter. Sounds like she is in early stages dementia so please make the most of the time you spend with her.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skituscany