What is the truth?

LemmyNY

Apr 25, 2021
My Mum in law aged 88 has Alzheimer's, diagnosed two years ago but now realise she has had it a long time. Following recent falls which we knew nothing about, she was admitted to hospital with severe pelvic pain. Once in hospital, it seemed to disappear. Less than 24 hours post-discharge she was screaming in agony. She was re-admitted to a local community hospital for assessment ( was fine in less than 24 hours) and to sort out her meds. During that time the hospital was astounded to find out she was doubly incontinent and had no short term memory at all. The falls were increasing. She is now in a care home in a bed to assess to ascertain how bad her memory is and what is needed long term.

For us, it's a nightmare. We can only visit once maybe twice a week, we ring every other day. The staff tell us she seems happy and is pottering about, doing activities. She has had one bad fall but that's because she is stubborn and refuses help. They say she is pleasant and chatty but when we ring it is a disaster; she wants to come home, it's horrid, the staff are horrid, nobody helps her, she is lonely and in her room and doesn't come out ..... it goes on and on and on. Intellectually, we know the staff are correct but her pleading and hatred make us so upset and personally I am at the end of my tether. Physically she is well apart from a few long term underlying conditions so she sees no reason to not go home.

I was sobbing when we came off the phone tonight, we know nothing of dementia and trying to find our way through this. And I know she is getting worse but she doesn't. It is the same conversation and she now gets so angry, particularly with me. Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated. It probably seems trivial compared to what many of you have to deal with. Sorry.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello and welcome @LemmyNY

It isn't trivial and it's something that's all too common.

You don't indicate exactly when you Mum went in to the Care Home but she may still be in the settling down period that everyone needs at that time. It's common for staff to tell family not to visit for a while as the reaction you are getting is almost universal. Not just for your own sake, but for your Mum's too, try to restrict contact with the Care Home to phone calls to staff for updates.

Know that your Mum is getting 24/7 care from a team and try to trust them. People do settle, although it can take a while.

Keep posting here as you will get support from people who understand.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
The behaviour you're describing is quite normal for a person with dementia who has recently moved into care. Step back and only speak to staff . My mother in law was exactly the same telling my husband she was ignored , the home was a living hell. The care home had a Facebook page and there she was on the uploaded photos smiling and taking part in the activities. After that we just ignored the complaints.

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Hi @LemmyNY and a warm welcome to DTP from me also.

My husband was blind so he wasn’t aware of me watching him in the CH, he said no one spoke to him or included him at all.. watching him proved a very different situation he mixed well with the other residents and the staff, it was hard but I learnt to let go, I hope you can...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sheree.fielder1