What is the oldest age people with Alzheimer's live to ?

SailingWanderer

Mar 20, 2012
This is a hard question to ask but my poor dear father is now 92 and in the very late stages of Alzheimer's. He has no quality of life and does not even respond to music now which was his greatest love, he can do nothing for himself, is just fed liquid food and thickened drink and mostly sleeps or shouts in terror
He was diagnosed in 2008 and I can not bear to watch him suffer anymore particularly as he made an advanced directive asking not to be kept alive if he was dependent on others. Please tell me how long the oldest people are when they die from is cruel illness

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
My poor mother was 97 and had very advanced dementia when she died last July. She must have had Alzh. since she was about 82 and had been in a care home since she was 89. However her general constitution had been very strong - she had survived things like chest infections and a broken hip, which are often the beginning of the end for so many.

I do know how you feel - it is truly dreadful, seeing someone in such a pitiful state, especially when you know how horrified their former selves would have been, if they could have seen how they'd end up.
We had agreed with the care home a few years before she died that except for anything like fractures, there was to be no hospital, and no medical intervention to keep her going just for the sake of keeping her alive - she was just to be kept comfortable.
In the end she went downhill quite suddenly and died within 48 hours.

CeliaThePoet

Dec 7, 2013
Buffalo, NY, USA
I don't think anyone can say the age, but have you looked into hospice services for your dad? They can support in many ways, including being sure he is comfortable when he cannot express himself.

I think we all know the pain you are feeling. X

CJinUSA

Jan 20, 2014
eastern USA
My uncle had a diagnosis at age 90 and lived til he was 98. My mother's diagnosis was also at age 90. She is still going at age 97.

There is no set limit. I'm sorry for what you are experiencing. We are all going through it or have gone through it.

jjude

Jan 4, 2011
England
You have my deepest sympathy as my father is at the same stage. In all honesty I was horrified to read of the ages of some of the people who have replied and how long they lived and awful as it sounds I am praying for an end to his suffering. To be in a vegative state like this is exhausting and heartbreaking for all concerned.

Pear trees

Jan 25, 2015
My mother is 89 this year and was diagnosed with vascular dementia 4 years ago, but had memory problems for some years beforehand. She is at the moderate/slightly severe stage, and is very difficult and verbally abusive to carers and family when we try to help.
Her GP says she is very fit, blood pressure heart etc very good, and she only takes statins small dose.
A clairvoyant told me she will live till 93 after a short illness. I think sheer her bloodymindedness will keep her going till then.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
As people have said it's impossible to answer such a question but I can entirely understand why you have asked it. You are in an awful situation, as is your dear father, and my heart goes out to you.

In such a situation it would surely be worthwhile asking about hospice care. In this day and age no-one should be left to shout in terror at this stage in their life. A key word in this discussion is surely 'comfortable'. The aim of those professionals looking after him should be keeping him as 'comfortable' as possible. I would want to be absolutely sure that all options. such as hospice care, have been explored. From what you say about his current existence there is little to lose in trying anything and everything that might help to calm him.

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
You have my deepest sympathy as my father is at the same stage. In all honesty I was horrified to read of the ages of some of the people who have replied and how long they lived and awful as it sounds I am praying for an end to his suffering. To be in a vegative state like this is exhausting and heartbreaking for all concerned.
It doesn't sound awful at all. It was a relief when my father died. Every time he had a new illness, he would deteriorate mentally as well. I so often wished that he would peacefully drift away in his sleep. I often think we are kinder to our animals in this modern western world than we are to our old people: the medics were still intervening with aggressive intravenous ABs - despite the studies that show it does no good but causes great distress to PwD - when he was dying of pneumonia.

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London

I understand exactly how you feel, since I felt the same about my mother in that state, which would have appalled her so much. However, as I said, she did have an unusually strong constitution. During the 8 years she was in her care home, which was dementia only, I saw many other residents arrive, decline and go. And I am quite happy to admit that I thought they were the luckier ones. Unless someone is largely contented and is getting some enjoyment out of life, even just a little, I cannot think it kind to wish for them to go on.

gardengirl

Mar 26, 2011
This is a hard question to ask but my poor dear father is now 92 and in the very late stages of Alzheimer's. He has no quality of life and does not even respond to music now which was his greatest love, he can do nothing for himself, is just fed liquid food and thickened drink and mostly sleeps or shouts in terror
He was diagnosed in 2008 and I can not bear to watch him suffer anymore particularly as he made an advanced directive asking not to be kept alive if he was dependent on others. Please tell me how long the oldest people are when they die from is cruel illness

There is no set time - I understand your wish to end the suffering of your father, which you can't make any easier. Time is all he has, just continue to be there and hold his hand. I read once the average time was seven years from diagnosis, so set to have as much fun as I could with my husband, who passed away within four years - just enjoy your father, while you can.

notsogooddtr

Jul 2, 2011
How long is a piece of string?My dad was diagnosed at 84,will be 95 in a few weeks.He is on less medication than me!My husband is convinced he will live till he's 100.I really hope not.

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
Dad is 89 and I am wondering the same thing. I think it depends how many other health issues affect the individual. Dad also has very nearly end stage kidney failure , has had major stomach surgery and also a major stroke. He has been taken off warfarin with no replacement so I think it is highly unlikely he will reach the mid 90's although if you'd told me when he had his stroke 6 years ago that he would still be here now I would never have believed it.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
My mum is nearly 86, she was diagnosed 2 years ago, but cleary had alz since at least the age of 80 and a few odd incidents in the 3 years before that.

She has a few niggly health issues but as she is in assisted living, mainly looking after herself, but any issues get spotted quickly. I am assuming she may well have another 10 years in her, although I would wish something else to take her before she gets to end stages.

SailingWanderer

Mar 20, 2012
Hospice care

As people have said it's impossible to answer such a question but I can entirely understand why you have asked it. You are in an awful situation, as is your dear father, and my heart goes out to you.

In such a situation it would surely be worthwhile asking about hospice care. In this day and age no-one should be left to shout in terror at this stage in their life. A key word in this discussion is surely 'comfortable'. The aim of those professionals looking after him should be keeping him as 'comfortable' as possible. I would want to be absolutely sure that all options. such as hospice care, have been explored. From what you say about his current existence there is little to lose in trying anything and everything that might help to calm him.
Dad is in a very good nursing home and regularly has the intensive care dementia team come out to him and adjust his medications. I have recently been able to get an Admiral nurse involved in his care too. I think he shouts in terror because he hallucinates but he is very violent during personal care too. I am not sure if this is because he is in pain or just frightened.
We do have a wonderful hospice here where my other died do you really think they could help him more ? I will certainly look into this

Pegsdaughter

Oct 7, 2014
London
Mum nearly 94 and only on a diuretic. Last visit to the pacemaker clinic they said the battery had another 10 years of life to which I said she will be 104 and I will be over 80. I fully expect her to outlive us all.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

SailingWanderer

Mar 20, 2012
So sorry

Mum nearly 94 and only on a diuretic. Last visit to the pacemaker clinic they said the battery had another 10 years of life to which I said she will be 104 and I will be over 80. I fully expect her to outlive us all.

Dear God why is it so wretched why cant our loved once be allowed to die with dignity?

SailingWanderer

Mar 20, 2012
So sorry

why is it so wretched why cant our loved ones be allowed to die with dignity?