What is the best way to deal with my grandmothers paranoid delusions?

rocky9927

Nov 6, 2015
My grandmother was recently diagnosed with dementia. Its getting worse pretty fast. She has a lot of paranoid delusions. She thinks that people are trying get into the house, that my sister is sick and dying, that people are trying to kill her. She threatens to go outside and chase the people off, she banged on the windows the other night trying to get them to go away and almost broke the glass. Me and my sister and my uncle are her primary caregivers. I would appreciate any advice on how to deal with these delusions. Trying to explain to her that they aren't real just gets her frustrated and upset. But i think its only a matter of time before she hurts herself. if her delusions were more harmless i would just go along with it, but I'm afraid if i do she'll run outside banging on the neighbors doors trying to get the "intruders" to go away and get hurt. This is all very sudden and I'm just not sure what to do. She's been to the doctor but so far they haven't given her any medication to help her sleep or anything which i think might help but i don't know. I'm very confused and overwhelmed. just not sure what to do.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi Rocky, welcome to TP
The best place to start may be to contact social services and ask for an "urgent assessment of a vulnerable adult" and pretty much they have to do something and do it quick. They will be in a position to get access to medical services (and this may mean putting her into hospital, possibly against her wishes) where she can be properly assessed. There is a section of the mental health act they can use to place her somewhere safe while she is medically assessed and that's what she needs from the sound of it. Going through the GP could take weeks (just to get an appointment) and then they'll probably refer you on.
As it started suddenly it could be that she has an infection of some sort that has suddenly made the condition worse, often this is a urinary tract infection but any type of infection can worsen the condition but treatment with antibiotics will usually sort this out after a few days.
Social services will have an out of hours number for emergencies, give them a call and make them do something it sounds like it's past the point where the 3 of you can cope and she is a danger to herself.
Keep posting.
K

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
Get her back to the GPs urgently with a wee sample, get it checked for infection.
Whilst there have her medications reviewed.

Bod

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
GPS are limited in what medication they can give to mental disorders. She may need to see the consultant at the memory clinic so they can prescribe appropriately.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Has she had a check for a Urinary infection. I'm not sure how the wee connects to the brain but it sure does and causes chaos, total confusion, hallucinations and all sorts. That is where I would start and if not see if you have a dementia nurse in your area or get a referral from your GP or a call to social services as others suggest but i would definitely start with Wee!!!