what is pro active ?

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
If someone said to you we want to be seem a pro active what that that mean.

It was said to me by the head manger of the social services day centre when I was explaining the medication to my mother and all my thought feeling .

how I perceive that I want them to take into consideration with my mother AZ and medication Exbixa her emotion , feeling , thoughts , culture , the whole concept how his staff think that my mother AZ should or should not be progressing with this medication

so he said that they do want to be seem as pro active ?

and why would they want to be seen as pro active ?

Kate P

Jul 6, 2007
Merseyside
As far as I understand it and as far as my thesaurus is telling me it means being practical, positive and hands on.

I would personally have thought that you were already all of those things so I'm not sure what she's trying to say to you.

Edit: Sorry misunderstood your message - hadn't read it thoroughly! I think he means that they're trying to appear interested and be taking a hands on approach with your mother rather than just sitting back and not doing anything.

Last edited:

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
If someone said to you we want to be seem a pro active what that that mean.

Maggie , it just means that you are doing all you can to make sure your mum is getting the best possible care. Finding out things, and pushing for things to happen.

I think they're right there, you've always done the best you could to make sure your mum is looked after properly.

and why would they want to be seen as pro active ?

Because it wouldn't be good for their image for people to think that they just washed their hands of people when they had a problem!

In other words, they're covering their tracks!

You keep on being pro-active, Maggie. We all have to learn to be, to care for our loved ones.

Love,

SusanB

Jan 15, 2008
Hove
Hi there,

The expression "pro-active" is bandied arounda a lot in business language (and obviously also in the medical profession!)

In brief, to add to the earlier post it means that someone thinks of something that needs doing, or that they should come up with solutions or new ideas to address a problem or in your case, an existing "medical condition". Someone is actively trying to solve a problem...hope this makes sense!

Pro-active is better than re-active, in which a person just lets things happen to them or to someone else.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Oh thank - you all now have a clear image of what it means .

Sounded like to me as one of those drinks .

But I thought it must of meant something different .

So he was taking into consideration in what I was saying ?

Just that he went on to say that I should talk to someone and cry , as I seem very upset .

So I thought why would he want me to cry ? as if that would solve anything .

So after conversation put down down cryed , feel better now, but crying not stopping me also from being pro active . I have now learn a new word now :cool: :D

Pro-active is better than re-active, in which a person just lets things happen to them or to someone else.

re- active never heard of that also . where do they get theirs words from ?

Last edited:

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
This whole management speak in non-management situations drives me nuts. Why can't they just say "we want to make sure that we're watching out for potential problems so that they don't become major problems"? I realise that "we wish to be seen as proactive" makes them (to their own ears) sound more professional, but what the point if they don't make their meaning clear? Anyway, when someone use the phrase "we wish to be seen" or similar what that sounds like to me is as if they just wish to APPEAR that way rather than actually BE that way.

Sorry Maggie - i just wonder how many other people they say this to who also don't know what they're trying to get at.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
"we want to make sure that we're watching out for potential problems so that they don't become major problems"?

Well he did explain that early on when he came to pick up my mother , as my daughter wanting to know why they have been keeping a file on my mother in another day centre my mother go to and we did not know that it was happening

he said that all day centre , care home have a right to do that , for observation of the progression of they client .

( Now in what you have said jennifer, that is why they really must of been keeping a file on my mother )

I realise that "we wish to be seen as proactive" makes them (to their own ears) sound more professional, but what the point if they don't make their meaning clear?

Good point .

So later on when he phone me , he says they do want to be seen as proactive . just wonder what he meant . left me thinking will its can't be a drink :eek: just got to what sounds like a positive word . so thought I would ask you all .

I must say that he does come aross very professional, must of done a degree some where along the way .

Even mucking in on a saturday with the staff to pick mum up .

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sillymom23