What is mixed dementia

Dragonfly46

Oct 4, 2015
Leicestershire
My 95 year old mum recently fell and broke her hip.
She was operated on successfully and spent 4 weeks in hospital. While there she became very confused so they did a brain scan and told me she has vascular dementia but did not tell me to what extent this is. I looked at her notes when she was discharged and see she has been diagnosed with mixed dementia.
What is this? She is now totally confused although remembers family members and recognises me and my dad. She doesn't seem to realise she is at home although she has lived there for 9 years.
She is having carers in at the moment to get her up in the morning and ready for bed at night although she seems to be capable of doing this herself.
She refused to get up today until I went up there. She told me she feels rotten but couldn't say how. She also told me she is losing her teeth although this was happening for a while before she only just seems to have noticed.
I suppose I really want to know what can me and my dad expect in the future.

Patricia Alice

Mar 2, 2015
My 95 year old mum recently fell and broke her hip.
She was operated on successfully and spent 4 weeks in hospital. While there she became very confused so they did a brain scan and told me she has vascular dementia but did not tell me to what extent this is. I looked at her notes when she was discharged and see she has been diagnosed with mixed dementia.
What is this? She is now totally confused although remembers family members and recognises me and my dad. She doesn't seem to realise she is at home although she has lived there for 9 years.
She is having carers in at the moment to get her up in the morning and ready for bed at night although she seems to be capable of doing this herself.
She refused to get up today until I went up there. She told me she feels rotten but couldn't say how. She also told me she is losing her teeth although this was happening for a while before she only just seems to have noticed.

Hi Dragonfly,

My mum has mixed dementia, which is vascular, and Alzheimer's but with evening sundowning.

The vascular as we are aware is when a person has had mini strokes and/or a bleed on the brain, although this has never been confirmed on a CT scan.

The sundowners comes on around 3pm and it is when it starts to go dusk, or in my mum's case when it's a dark grey day.

I hope this clarifies it a little for you.

Dragonfly46

Oct 4, 2015
Leicestershire
Hi Dragonfly,

My mum has mixed dementia, which is vascular, and Alzheimer's but with evening sundowning.

The vascular as we are aware is when a person has had mini strokes and/or a bleed on the brain, although this has never been confirmed on a CT scan.

The sundowners comes on around 3pm and it is when it starts to go dusk, or in my mum's case when it's a dark grey day.

I hope this clarifies it a little for you.

The doctor who spoke to me inferred it was old age and simply that blood was not getting to parts of the brain. She does not have a history of strokes although has always been a little dotty so maybe this is how we overlooked it. The anaesthetic seems to have exacerbated it though.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hello Dragonfly.
My mum had mixed Dementia, Alzheimer's disease and Vascular dementia .
Please don't be thinking that having two types of Dementia together make it worse, it didn't in my mums case.

Just being in hospital can be very disorienting for a person with Dementia let alone having an Anaesthetic and being in pain certainly doesn't help either.

At the beginning of June I had a full hip replacement, the first couple of weeks were quite hard and I needed regular pain relief and I am much younger than your mum. Several months on I still need occasional paracetamol if I have over done things.

I am hoping that in time you will see an improvement in your Mum

Dragonfly46

Oct 4, 2015
Leicestershire
Hello Dragonfly.
Please don't be thinking that having two types of Dementia together make it worse, it didn't in my mums case.

Just being in hospital can be very disorienting for a person with Dementia let alone having an Anaesthetic and being in pain certainly doesn't help either.

At the beginning of June I had a full hip replacement, the first couple of weeks were quite hard and I needed regular pain relief and I am much younger than your mum. Several months on I still need occasional paracetamol if I have over done things.

Thank you so much - it is great to hear something positive.

Grey Lad

Sep 12, 2014
North East Lincs
Hello Dragonfly.

Hi lin1 I have had both hips replaced. You may be doing it already but I found exercising in water really helped me get back into shape. Just limbering up at the side then gradually walking in water really helped. As I got stronger I walked in deeper water. Hope you become pain free soon.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hi lin1 I have had both hips replaced. You may be doing it already but I found exercising in water really helped me get back into shape. Just limbering up at the side then gradually walking in water really helped. As I got stronger I walked in deeper water. Hope you become pain free soon.
Thanks G L

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford

Hi Dragonfly, welcome to TP
I don't know if it matters that much what type it is it's all much of a muchness and no 2 people are the same, my wife has "atypical" what does that tell anyone?
It's just a matter of taking everyday as it comes, learn what works and what doesn't.
Like anything else in life it's best to "Expect the unexpected".
K

JLM

Oct 11, 2015
Thank you so much - it is great to hear something positive.

Hi I know what u are going through!!! My mam has just been confirmed with 3 lots of dementia??? Alzheimer's, vascular dementia and something called hydrocepalus which is the fluid from the spine leaking into brain?? I understand the first 2 but I can't get anything about all 3. I'm up down I know I'm making the people closest to me miserable!! I just can't pick myself up but..... there is no but I need too my 16 yr old daughter has been a rock all I can say is talk. Which I don't !! But she makes me!! For me forum is the best thing I've done. Loads of advice, help love and support. No answers cos we all no there isn't one but this helps is has for me?? :)xx