What is in my loved ones mind

cris

Aug 23, 2006
Chelmsford
I try to understand what my wife thinks. I know it is impossible and i can only guess, but I was browsing an American Alz. web site and they have a book to see / read / download, but there was a posting in the book from a patient extract from another book.

A man with Alzheimer's disease, quoted in the book The Loss of Self, seems to express the feelings of many people with dementia:

"No theory of medicine can explain what is happening to me. Every few months I sense that another piece of me is missing. My life . . .
my self . . . are falling apart. I can only think half thoughts now.
Someday I may wake up and not think at all . . . not know who I am.
Most people expect to die someday, but whoever expected to lose their
self first? I am hungry for the life that is being taken away from me. I
am a human being. I still exist. I have a family. I hunger for friendship,
happiness and the touch of a loved hand. What I ask for is that
what is left of my life shall have some meaning. Give me something to
die for! Help me to be strong and free until my self no longer exists."

I think the last few sentences is something that we as carers know instinctivly and it is that which gives us strength to do what we do.
cris

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
cris said:
Most people expect to die someday, but whoever expected to lose their self first?

I think this is the saddest part of the message. Who would wish that on their worst enemy, let alone someone they love?

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Yes Chris that says it all

I
am a human being. I still exist. I have a family. I hunger for friendship,
happiness and the touch of a loved hand. What I ask for is that
what is left of my life shall have some meaning. Give me something to
die for! Help me to be strong and free until my self no longer exists."

and that is from someone who has AZ ! just showing what amazing courage insight that person has to want share that to the world .

What gets to me is that USA AZ is so much advance with Medication for AZ then UK , I read about new trail drug .I post about it in Raising awareness and campaigning section

Last edited:

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Thanks cris, that is certainly an eye opener.

When Lionel was first diagnosed he used to say:
"My mind is like a filing cabinet. It's in here somewhere, just need to find the bl***y folder".

Their world is really too horrendous to comprehend.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
"My mind is like a filing cabinet. It's in here somewhere, just need to find the bl***y folder".

What a good way to perceive it .

I must say that I always want to know how mum feeling in her brain , But I don't ask even thought I want to all I say sometime is what are you thinking about , she Just says my thoughts are Mine .

My daughter did say something yesterday when we where watching princes diana concert about now a opera singer that was singing a song reminded her of untie lorean my mother sister who died last year , my mother ask me what My daughter just said

I had to repeat it a few time , as she keep saying Who , who, then she just turn back to go to her naps ( my mother says in the past she is not sleeping) I get the feeling that she is forgetting who Lorana is .

I did not say anything more about it and just let her nap

cris

Aug 23, 2006
Chelmsford
Margarita said:
Yes Chris that says it all

What gets to me is that USA AZ is so much advance with Medication for AZ then UK , I read about new trail drug .I post about it in Raising awareness and campaigning section

You're right there Maggie. I did e-mail you the page which was giving some positive news.
cris