What is happening?

Maye

Jun 9, 2013
Hi,

My mum was diagnosed around 4-5 years ago and was displaying the later stages of Alzheimers i.e virtually no speech, forgetting to swallow when eating/drinking, incontinent, mobility issues, although also has neuropathy, Mylofibrosis and has a blood transfusion every 6 weeks.
Previously it was noticeable how she appeared less tired immediately after a transfusion but this effect has reduced over the last 6 months or so. She normally sleeps until 4-5pm each day.
She was rushed into hospital last Friday with a suspected blood clot and we were asked about DNR by the A & E Dr. Rivaroxaban had been prescribed 2 days prior by local GP but appeared to have caused erosion's in the stomach/internal bleeding and the consultant not only stopped the drug but said no other replacement needed as danger from blood clot had subsided.
However, something strange happened late yesterday whilst still in hospital and has continued into this evening. My mum started talking, almost non-stop and initiated conversations!! Not only recalling memories of years ago but when discharged today and at home, she recounted conversations and situations that had arisen earlier in the day! Now this might not sound much but if I advise that the last time she spoke without any prompting and even then the reply was usually 1 word and barely audible, was back in June, the whole family are completely staggered. She asked about an old neighbour and when we advised that he had passed away, she was very upset and cried, she hasn't displayed any emotion like that during the last few years.
We're all in total shock, how is this possible and I am not talking about isolated lucid moment, it was constant.
Has anybody experienced this before please?
I am going to make an appointment with a Dementia Consultant to see if we can establish exactly what is happening.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
There was a thread about a year ago where a member had a similar experience with her mother(I think).

For the life of me I can't recall the name of the member but someone may be able to recall and that thread may be of interest to you if it can be found.

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Hello @Maye and welcome to TP

This is an amazing sequence of events and I'm afraid I have no suggestions as to what may be happening with your mum. I hope someone will be along soon who may have some ideas. Frankly I'm as stumped as you are!!

I hope you get some information or diagnosis soon. It must be so difficult to care for your mum, when her condition seems to have changed so suddenly.

All the best to you.

Lindy xx

Maye

Jun 9, 2013
Thank you all for helpful posts. Mum passed away yesterday with all family there, feel broken and especially for my dad, they would have been married for 60 years in Dec. The Myelofibrosis took mum in the end. I'm not sure how anyone gets over the loss, it is a beautiful sunny day outside but my mum is not in the world and the grief is overwhelming. I'm sending my love and best wishes to everyone whose loved one is suffering from Alzheimers, one day I am sure we will beat this heartbreaking condition.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Thank you all for helpful posts. Mum passed away yesterday with all family there, feel broken and especially for my dad, they would have been married for 60 years in Dec. The Myelofibrosis took mum in the end. I'm not sure how anyone gets over the loss, it is a beautiful sunny day outside but my mum is not in the world and the grief is overwhelming. I'm sending my love and best wishes to everyone whose loved one is suffering from Alzheimers, one day I am sure we will beat this heartbreaking condition.

You must be so overwhelmed especially after the rally. It was not the same with my father but he did also have an amazing rally. He returned to the person he was before his final illness, he apologised for giving me a hard time too. Hold on to these memories, I remember those final days with gratitude. X