what is carer's assessment ?

Ginnykk5

Jan 6, 2015
Hemel Hempstead
Whats is carers assessment? whats it involve? how does this help me. and how do I get myself assessed?
Im not allowed carers allowance, so would an assessment make any difference?

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
A carer's assessment is to find out how caring is affecting you and what can be put into place to help you. I was over retirement age when I applied so I did not qualify for carers allowance.

I was asked about the care I gave my husband, what I found difficult and what effect it was having on me. We were offered day care so that I had a break from caring for a few hours a week. It was very welcome.

Ginnykk5

Jan 6, 2015
Hemel Hempstead
A carer's assessment is to find out how caring is affecting you and what can be put into place to help you. I was over retirement age when I applied so I did not qualify for carers allowance.

I was asked about the care I gave my husband, what I found difficult and what effect it was having on me. We were offered day care so that I had a break from caring for a few hours a week. It was very welcome.

Thanks, my drs has not offered this assessment. to be honest i think id find it hard letting go, letting others help. I have a tight schedule and arranging for other events will just add more stress.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi Ginny, a carers assessment is done through Social Services, so contact them to request it. Its important to balance your needs as well.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Please do not make the mistake to think that outside help is a nuisance. No one can do it all themselves. Do you really want to end up with carer breakdown? I literally couldn't live without OH's daily day care centre. Also, social services can equip you with telecare gadgets like trackers or memo minders. Plus an OT could check the flat to see where grab rails etc may be helpful. Please learn to let others in, you'll benefit in the long run, even if setting up carers or whatnot might involve a bit of admin at the outset.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
no one took over from me, I was just offered the day care facility which really helped me to continue to care on my own. My husband never slept and whilst he was at day care I could catch up on my sleep and get jobs done that had been neglected because of caring. This made life so much better for both of us.

You don't have to take up any offer but you will learn what is available.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anita1968