What is attractive to a private carer in a job?

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
I definitely would not go to Gumtree - it is a site fraught with scams and scammers and I wouldn't trust my loved ones to a site like that!

Leswi

Jul 13, 2014
Bedfordshire
There is a carers UK website where carers can advertise that they are looking for work and you could place an or contact the carers direct if you read through their details and like the sound of any of them. You need to pay a subscription to be able to contact the carers but if you cancel the subscription after a month you will probably have found who you want to use. There are other companies who provide live in carers usually on a two week on/two week off basis which do seem a cheaper option from ads I have come across. Personally I think finding the right person is crucial and though the security checks may give peace of mind, my best carer came unqualified and without references. I could not have got through the last year without her.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
You could ask your LA. Ours have brokers who can put you in touch with private carers and help you with the admin. I know others do also.

swoops03189

Dec 1, 2015
mrs

hello there. its always difficult when trying to decide what to do about our parents/parent. The benefits of staying at home are far greater than going into a home. Familiarity of somewhere they know and the freedom of coming and going of visitors. You could get someone from SS to come and assess the house make sure its safe for your mum. Remove rugs from the house get aids for the toilet and a walking frame for upstairs and downstairs (if in a house). I used to work for a care company and i have a CRB which i had to pay for and it comes with me when i move around. Im now a private carer and work for the family (legally). A familiar face is something they apreciate and feel comfortable with. There's a briliant magazine called The Lady. Some carers live in and you can have someone just to come in and help when needed.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
hello there. its always difficult when trying to decide what to do about our parents/parent. The benefits of staying at home are far greater than going into a home. Familiarity of somewhere they know and the freedom of coming and going of visitors.

I'm by no means convinced that 'The benefits of staying at home are far greater than going into a home.'

How do you know this? There are plenty of posters on this Forum who have found a great improvement in their loved one's when they receive care in a CH/NH.As for 'familiarity of somewhere they know'-well my Husband couldn't find his way round the house where he had lived for 31 years! My Husband's CH had no restrictions regarding visitors; as long as they had my permission to visit they were very welcome at any time.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
I agree with you Lyn. Members are sometimes inclined to overstate these things. Either situation can be better for any particular individual depending on all sorts of things. I hope to continue to look after Sue, with the help I'm now getting, for as long as possible but, in my view, it would be foolish to say 'never' about a CH. Similarly, I am puzzled when people make the assumption that everyone ends up in a CH.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
1) You have to try and find reliable carers, interviewing them and taking up references.

2) I had several experiences of Agency Carers not turning up (even though they were costing a lot more).

3) Apart from 'one off' no shows you do need a backup plan, for sickness etc. Ours is a small, cheap, local agency that has proved reliable each time we've needed them.

Louby65

Mar 26, 2014
Scotland
Hi User. I have employed a private carer via a carers site . I would give you all the information you need etc. but as this forum doesn't allow me to advertise the name , if you need the information please message me . Lou

Louby65

Mar 26, 2014
Scotland
Hi stanleypj. I had recommended a care agency recently but had it removed by one of the forum moderators , so I am wary of doing it again . That is why I ask people to contact me if they want any details . Lou .

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Hi stanleypj. I had recommended a care agency recently but had it removed by one of the forum moderators , so I am wary of doing it again . That is why I ask people to contact me if they want any details . Lou .

I don't really understand this Louby. This is from the TP Terms and Conditions:

3.4 Messages containing personal endorsement of products and services that may be of benefit to our users, may be permitted. Messages, usernames and profile information deemed to contain commercial advertising, and unsolicited messages for the purpose of advertising a product or service, are not permitted on this site.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Sorry Folks. I know the Terms and Conditions are confusing.

2.3 The naming of health or care providers, legal services and/or their individual staff is prohibited,

There is a difference between a personal endorsement of a product which is uniform from all providers and and endorsement of care agencies/health providers, which can vary from area to area.

The needs of the individual are different too so what might suit one person with dementia may not suit another.

The agency I used was excellent but I can only vouch for the Branch I used. The home my husband was in was perfect for him but others complained.

I hope this helps.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Thanks Louby. I suppose there is a question that could be asked about whether a site where individual carers can advertise themselves is 'a health or care provider'. Indeed such a site, on a well-known charity's website, has already been named on the thread.