What is a blog

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I usually write a blog when all I want to do is get stuff off my chest or write a kind of diary entry. I don't expect anyone to respond to this, although people often do comment on blogs. Click on 'Blogs' on the green menu bar. I then always click on list blogs as then you can see all of the latest blogs. You can then browse them and respond if you want to. If you click on 'Your Blog' you will be taken to your own blog area. You can then click 'add to blog' and write your own blog.

I hope this isn't as clear as mud!! Sadly I understand it but I don't expect others to understand my logic!! Izzy xx

Last edited:

Bookworm

Jan 30, 2009
Co. Derry
Blog?

A bog is a noun, blogging the verb. It is (here) a part of a website - but externally a blog may be most or all of the website (as in comment above - a place to air views to the world - on news, politics etc).

Here the blog seems to be the personal on-line diary (journal mentioned above = same) in reverse chronological order - limited I think to one's friends & maybe contacts too - but not sure about that. People can subscribe to it - I do to 3 - then when the bog has a comment added you get an email - some people put a post on a thread & then blog it - I'm not sure about this - for myself it would maybe be one or the other. If the person wants to capture change & insight - well I do that in a word doc on my hard drive - but the blog allows this to be done semi publically.

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Blogs public?

Are blogs public, can anyone read them, or are they only available to Talking Point members?

Loopiloo

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi Loopiloo,

If you click on this link, you will go to the control panel for your blog (all users will have this, even if they have not yet started a blog):

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/blog_usercp.php?do=editoptions

I think that you can also reach this point by clicking on the Blogs bit of the green navigation bar and then choosing Your Blog and then (on the left hand menu) Blog Control Panel.

You should be able to see all the options to control access to your blog for both viewing and comments.

You should be able to restrict to just members or just friends/contacts and also exclude people on your ignore list.

Take care,

sunray

Sep 21, 2008
East Coast of Australia
Hi Danny/Angela I have had a blog on Strokenet for about five years. For me a blog is a record of the ups and downs Ray and i have had on our journey with stroke and now dementia. It is a way of sorting out what happens and how I feel about what happens. My blog is public so anyone can read it. I don't worry about privacy issues. I hope that by reading it people will maybe pick up something about coping with life that will be useful to them.

My blog is at: http://www.strokeboard.net/index.php?app=blog&module=display&section=blog&blogid=165

or you can go to www.strokeboard.net, click on blogs and mine is Sue's Sentiments.

As looking after someone who has had strokes is similar to looking after someone with dementia I didn't think I needed to change from the Strokenet system when Ray developed dementia as well.I won't start a blog here as I don't need two. Some people have a blog on Blogger or a similar site or may have a private blog somewhere that is not accessible to the public.

Sue.

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Hi Loopiloo,

If you click on this link, you will go to the control panel for your blog (all users will have this, even if they have not yet started a blog):

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/blog_usercp.php?do=editoptions

I think that you can also reach this point by clicking on the Blogs bit of the green navigation bar and then choosing Your Blog and then (on the left hand menu) Blog Control Panel.

You should be able to see all the options to control access to your blog for both viewing and comments.

You should be able to restrict to just members or just friends/contacts and also exclude people on your ignore list.

Take care,

Thanks for your help Sandy

Loopiloo