What info should a care home provide re fees?

Sunflower2018

May 23, 2018
I'm new here and not sure if I'm posting in the right place ... In a nutshell my grandmother has alzheimers and I have financial POA. She was receiving Continuing Healthcare funding which has just been refused after a CCG review even though she's worse. She's been in the home a year and has been funded all this time. I'm appealing, but in the meantime care home fees have become due...

I'm having a nightmare getting any info from the home about fees. I've been asking for weeks about fees. They've lost any documentation they had (very worrying) and an admin lady has now sent me an email with a couple of lines saying 'the fees are xx'. There is no evidence why this amount, nor details of how to pay, and no contract. Am I right to feel I should have something more than this?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

lemonjuice

Jun 15, 2016
England
I presume you just asked about the cost of the fees? In which case as far as the Home may be concerned they've answered your question.

As far as I'm aware you would need to sign a contract, the previous contract would have been with the local Primary Health Care. Perhaps they have some details. If your grandmother has been refused CHC she may still be eligible for Nursing Care contributions, so do see if the fees quoted have factored that in.

Will she be self-funding or do you need to contact SS because she has insufficient savings?

EDIT Just seen Jessbow's post and yes when you get a contract there should be some details, but possibly not a 'breakdown' of charges for the fees themselves. just basic fees and a list of extras available.

Last edited:

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
I'm new here and not sure if I'm posting in the right place ... In a nutshell my grandmother has alzheimers and I have financial POA. She was receiving Continuing Healthcare funding which has just been refused after a CCG review even though she's worse. She's been in the home a year and has been funded all this time. I'm appealing, but in the meantime care home fees have become due...

I'm having a nightmare getting any info from the home about fees. I've been asking for weeks about fees. They've lost any documentation they had (very worrying) and an admin lady has now sent me an email with a couple of lines saying 'the fees are xx'. There is no evidence why this amount, nor details of how to pay, and no contract. Am I right to feel I should have something more than this?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
You could ring the help line for advice...

National Dementia Helpline
0300 222 11 22
Our helpline advisers are here for you.
Helpline opening hours:
Monday to Wednesday 9am – 8pm
Thursday and Friday 9am – 5pm
Saturday and Sunday 10am – 4pm

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
There is no evidence why this amount

I doubt you'll get a breakdown of the way the fee is arrived at. Is that what you are wanting?

Within the contract ( which if you haven't been given maybe you should ask for again) it should explain what is and isn't covered by the fees, and what are extras

Sunflower2018

May 23, 2018
Thanks to everyone who's replied, I appreciated it. I was told when the CHC funding was stopped that a certain amount will be paid (around £100) a week I think and it wasn't clear if the figure the admin lady gave me was before or after this amount was deducted, so I need to get a clearer idea - and push for a contract.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Thanks to everyone who's replied, I appreciated it. I was told when the CHC funding was stopped that a certain amount will be paid (around £100) a week I think and it wasn't clear if the figure the admin lady gave me was before or after this amount was deducted, so I need to get a clearer idea - and push for a contract.
It's possible that the money offered in Funded Nursing Care, it's like CHC but just covers the nursing element of the care in the home currently it's £155pw. It is only paid to people in a nursing home not a care home and is paid directly to the home.
Whilst some places, I believe from what people on here have said do offset this against the fees in my experience most don't, some nursing homes charge the £155 as a top up in FNC isn't awarded is what a couple of places told me.
K

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cat09