What I have to deal with

Nightshade01

Nov 24, 2019
My Mothers gross habit of sticking her thumbnail up her nose. She has been in the habit for a few years now I come to the point where I can't stand being under the same roof as her. Sometimes she goes around picking and flicking on the floor. One time she went to bed picking her nose and another time touching the tea towel. Her habits make me feel uncomfortable around her.

Earlier today I told her there was a wrong number on the phone and she burst out laughing. She said she thought I had gone out and also asked me I'm I her daughter. And using this annoying line a few times every day saying "Good girl," Good girl,"

I'm currently waiting to get accepted for the property pool online where I can find somewhere to live and put her in a nursing home. I feel she is too much for me now.

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
Your feelings sound like a symptom of grief to me. Your Mother is no longer the Mum you knew and loved, due to the dementia it’s as if someone else has moved in and stolen her place. I don’t know if this will help but a couple of years ago I told my sister that I hated going to the Care Home to visit our Mum (my sister lives a long way away so can only visit a few times a year). She suggested that I should accept that ‘my’ Mum had gone, grieve for her, and then see my mum as an old lady I visited, did things for and took out on trips. It really did help , and gosh how I missed not being able to visit her when the Home was in Covid lock down. I also think you need a break, either a holiday for you or sone respite care for her. Contact your local ‘Carers helpline’, with a bit of luck they will be able to help arrange some regular day care too. Be kind to yourself.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiabarbour