What helps?

Jill-88

Oct 21, 2015
Hi everyone, I've been reading discussions on this forum for a while, and thought I should start my first thread here. I've teamed up with a few students and professionals in order to create a concept of a product that could potentially make independent living a bit easier, through assistive technology. Our passions lie with living a healthy and safe life, with dementia, with a bit of help from technology. As an interaction designer, I'm trying to really understand day-to-day living with dementia, whether you're a caregiver, or are diagnosed with it: what frustrates you, difficulties, ways of getting around it, nice to haves, what could help with everyday life? Any of that would really help me understand what could potentially help and the kind of interactions that would be the least invasive. Any information/insight would be appreciated.

I have to say, reading the posts in this forum has really given me a clearer understanding of the illness and those that live with it. This community is amazing. Thanks in advance.

P.S. I'm not sure it's appropriate for me to post this here, so please let me know if whether it's inappropriate in any way.

Sincerely,
Jill

Mrsbusy

Aug 15, 2015
Something I wish you could get is something to remind people by using a voice not a buzzer of something. Ie set the item to speak three times a day to say Don't forget to have some dinner/feed the cat/take your tablets.

A very basic microwave just on off and time set. No other buttons. Washing machine the same, on off and middle temp programme.

I will keep thinking.

Jill-88

Oct 21, 2015
Something I wish you could get is something to remind people by using a voice not a buzzer of something. Ie set the item to speak three times a day to say Don't forget to have some dinner/feed the cat/take your tablets.

A very basic microwave just on off and time set. No other buttons. Washing machine the same, on off and middle temp programme.

I will keep thinking.

So something that simplifies complicated functions, and reminders/alerts. Got it. Thanks so much!

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Id like a TV that has an on/off button and about 3 other buttons that can be pre-set to different stations in a very prominent position at the front that is easy to see. No remote (they just get lost, or mistaken for the phone) and no access to other things like volume/colour/picture etc. You could have these things set by a remote that some-one else can use and then take the remote away for safe-keeping.

Id like the same thing on a radio too, I got fed up with mum mistaking the tuning dial for the volume.

Jill-88

Oct 21, 2015
Id like a TV that has an on/off button and about 3 other buttons that can be pre-set to different stations in a very prominent position at the front that is easy to see. No remote (they just get lost, or mistaken for the phone) and no access to other things like volume/colour/picture etc. You could have these things set by a remote that some-one else can use and then take the remote away for safe-keeping.

Id like the same thing on a radio too, I got fed up with mum mistaking the tuning dial for the volume.

Appliances with limited functions, with options for advanced functions. Thanks!