What has happened to the old posts?

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
I think we also have to remember that many people have not commented either way.

I haven't, so far Izzy.;)

I've survived several changes/updates to the forum; as with this one, there are inevitably complaints/criticisms, then people get used to the new format and just get on with it.

One thing I've just discovered though; multi-quote seems to have gone, unless I'm missing something. This is something I've used lots, and would hate to lose it. I wanted to reply to Saffie's post too, and now will have to do it separately.

Apart from this, I'm happy.:)

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I have mentioned the multi quotes following College Girl's post Hazel. I liked it too. X

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
I usually go to the New posts, now Recent posts or today's posts anyway, so that's fine with me.

I do like the fact that there is a seperate forum for partners of dementila sufferers. Although I am always happy to help members with parents with dementia and my mother suffered from AD over 30 years ago, there is a world of a difference in the emotions invloved and the impact on one's future life - what's left of it.

The rest, I will get used to in time no doubt.

I agree, Saffie. No doubt I'll continue to read posts from people caring for a parent, but feel more competent to support those caring for a partner. The emotions are definitely not the same.

SallyPotter

May 19, 2013
Gloucestershire
Hi All
I think it makes it all harder to post and get a rapid response. As Big Effort said we all have a mutual bond and have built relationships on this site.
The way it was before if you were generally having a bad day somebody would respond, it may not necessarily be somebody who was in exactly the same situation but it would be somebody who understood.
I can appreciate that it was becoming unwieldy but the old format was great in that everybody who was in the situation which we are unfortunately in was able to communicate without worrying about 'categories'. when I first found this site I was pretty traumatized with what was happening in my life, I certainly didn't have the knowledge to decide what stage of dementia my parents were in at that time, now if you go into the 'severe' stage of the forum it all seems to be focused around death + preparing for death yet people can live with moderate to severe dementia for quite a considerable period of time.
Quite often people on this forum need emotional support and the new set-up seems to enable practical advice better than just a virtual hug when you need it.....
If you are going to have categories could we please have a general one for people who have parents or close relatives with dementia?

byrnedjp

Mar 21, 2013
London
random

just seeing where this one ends up......posted earlier and it was re directed into another thread....surely there should be a "landing" page where new posts are read by all (Todays Posts used to work fine!) before they are shuffled around and neatly lost in the mix.....i have the common sense to direct my points at the relevant sections...just a tad over zealous to re direct posts if no one has seen them yet.

KatherineW

Oct 2, 2007
London
Hi all

I've read the comments about the multi-quote feature, and we'll have a think about this one for sure. We removed this feature along with some others because we felt they were not often used. Also, this particular feature caused confusion and/or distracted the volunteers in our user-testing project. As I said, we're logging all your comments, and will review things a bit later on, to see what might need tweaking.

Skye - I'm pleased you're happy with the changes overall. :)

I can appreciate that it was becoming unwieldy but the old format was great in that everybody who was in the situation which we are unfortunately in was able to communicate without worrying about 'categories'. when I first found this site I was pretty traumatized with what was happening in my life, I certainly didn't have the knowledge to decide what stage of dementia my parents were in at that time, now if you go into the 'severe' stage of the forum it all seems to be focused around death + preparing for death yet people can live with moderate to severe dementia for quite a considerable period of time.
Quite often people on this forum need emotional support and the new set-up seems to enable practical advice better than just a virtual hug when you need it.....
If you are going to have categories could we please have a general one for people who have parents or close relatives with dementia?

Hi Sally

Thanks for your comments.

The 'I care for a person with dementia' forum might be a good place for you to post, if you'd prefer not to post in one of the 'stages' forums just now.

Also, a good way to get a sense of the breadth of discussions across the forum is to click on the 'Most Recent Posts' or 'Today's Posts' links.

I take your point about the 'Later stages' forum, but I think part of the reason discussions are focused on end of life care at the moment is because we've only just begun the process of moving threads across from the old 'Support for people with dementia and their carers' forum. When we've moved more discussions across, the content in there will be more varied, and will hopefully represent a wider range of experiences.

As for a forum for those with relatives or parents with dementia, this is also feedback we have made a note of and will consider later on.

Thanks again,

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
just seeing where this one ends up......posted earlier and it was re directed into another thread....surely there should be a "landing" page where new posts are read by all (Todays Posts used to work fine!) before they are shuffled around and neatly lost in the mix.....i have the common sense to direct my points at the relevant sections...just a tad over zealous to re direct posts if no one has seen them yet.

Well Today's Posts and Most Recent posts are still here.

byrnedjp

Mar 21, 2013
London
they are indeed
maybe posting a new thread with a random title will mean thay arent re directed before more people read them

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"Most Recent Posts" appears to truncate at 50 whereas "Today's Posts" appears to be open ended.

Perhaps it should be named "50 most recent posts" for clarity.

Last edited:

byrnedjp

Mar 21, 2013
London
as above exactly.
a forum should have a starting point for people to read the latest posts.

If they are moved witin a minute (as yesterdays was) no one is reading it

all well and good to keep things tidy i just think let people make a mess before you clean it up

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
as above exactly.
a forum should have a starting point for people to read the latest posts.

If they are moved witin a minute (as yesterdays was) no one is reading it

all well and good to keep things tidy i just think let people make a mess before you clean it up

If you click on Today's Posts it will give a list of all threads that have been posted to in the last 24 hours.

Most Recent Posts (previously New Posts) will give a list of all threads that have been posted to since you last logged in. So, for example, if you log out and log back in 30 minutes later your list of Most Recent Posts will be pretty short, as it will only show threads updated in the last 30 minutes. Someone else, who hasn't logged in for a couple of days, may be logging in at the same time and if they click on Most Recent Posts they will have a list of a few pages. This hasn't changed, it's just the name that has changed from New Posts to Most Recent Posts.

If they have been moved from one forum to another this will not affect whether they appear on your list of Most Recent Posts.

byrnedjp

Mar 21, 2013
London
i give up...........

i understand the site...i understand the format...i understand the changes....

If i start a new thread it seems to me that having it re directed within a minute is a little over zealous.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
i give up...........

i understand the site...i understand the format...i understand the changes....

If i start a new thread it seems to me that having it re directed within a minute is a little over zealous.

But t's still in latest posts or most recent posts which I thought everyone would use so what is the problem,