What has happened to the old posts?

KatherineW

Oct 2, 2007
London
Hi all,

You can find all the posts from the old 'Support for people with dementia and their carers' forum >>here<<. To find the old Support and Resources forums, just scroll down to the bottom of the home page.

And you can read about the changes we've made and why >>here<<.

I hope that helps.

I'll move this thread over to our 'Welcome & help using Talking Point' forum now, as that's the best place for this discussion. :)

Last edited:

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
Hi all,

You can find all the posts from the old 'Support for people with dementia and their carers' forum >>here<<.

And you can read about the changes we've made and why >>here<<.

I hope that helps.

I'll move this thread over to our 'Welcome & help using Talking Point' forum now, as that's the best place for this discussion. :)

I can't get to the old style forum, or can't figure out how to get there without using the link above.

How can you find it, if I can't find this thread?

SerenaS

Staff Member
Apr 7, 2011
London
Thanks Izzy :)

Here are some tips for other members who'd like to find their way around Talking Point

1) If you want to find the most recent posts on Talking Point:

Scroll to the top and just below the light blue rectangle across the top, click on 'Most Recent Posts' (see picture below)

mrp.JPG

2) If you want to look at the list of different forums we have:

Scroll to the top and on the light blue rectangle, click on 'Forum Home' (see picture below)

fh.JPG

This will take you to a list of the forums, including the ones that are closing soon (they're further down the list)

3) If you want to find posts you have made:

Scroll to the top and on the darker blue rectangle, on the right hand side, click on 'My Posts'

mp.JPG

Hope this helps :)

NB These tips are for members using Talking Point via an internet browser and not via our mobile app

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
Not wanting to be a negative Nelly, I'm unconvinced about posting under the stages of dementia. With dementia being so different for everyone and such an untrackable condition, I don't know whether Mum has crossed from early to middle stages or with the TIA's recently if this now the start of the late stages and she gets forevermore angry and irrational.

I have got a lot of information from people who are at the later stages too so I know more closely what to expect. I know we can chop and change between the new sections and will just have to get used to that.

KatherineW

Oct 2, 2007
London
Hi Noorza

You don't sound negative - you're making a fair point. :) We were conscious when we worked on defining our new forums that the lines between different stages of dementia can be blurred - especially as you say, around early-middle and middle-late stages.

The main purpose of the 'stages' forums is to help people find the discussions that may be most relevant to them - for example, a person adjusting to a new diagnosis might find it overwhelming to read conversations about care options, or end of life care.

There aren't hard and fast rules about when to post in these forums: mostly, it's about posting where feels comfortable for you, bearing in mind the way forums are described and the types of conversations that are in them. We will occasionally move threads, if a discussion feels really out of kilter with other conversations in a particular section.

I hope that makes sense,

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Katherine,

Why only a forum for partners or spouses. Nothing for relatives or friends with dementia, only if you are their carer! Where do they post now as all the general areas have gone?

Thanks,

Fiona

KatherineW

Oct 2, 2007
London
Hi Fiona,

We have designed our new sub-forums based on feedback from members, and following discussions with our volunteer team. A section for partners was something that was specifically requested by a number of people, hence us setting up this particular area.

If, after everyone has got used to these updates, it's felt that a specific section for relatives and friends would also be beneficial, we can look at adding this.

As with all of the changes, there will be some things we need to tweak and others that work from the get-go. Please do take your time to explore, and continue to feed back any comments and ask questions. :)

Thanks,

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
I personally can't see much of a difference between the problems a daughter or son living with a parent who has dementia experience and a partner or spouse living with a spouse who has dementia. 99 percent of the problems are the same. I can't see the need to separate the discussions between those two groups of people. We should be encouraged to talk to each other not split apart.

The more I am understanding the new layout, albeit it as a newbie, the more I hope it reverts to the original layout.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
The practical things about caring for a parent or partner with dementia are very similar the emotional things are completely different ,

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
The practical things about caring for a parent or partner with dementia are very similar the emotional things are completely different ,

Yet we are all emotionally devastated and can learn from each other's perspectives and experiences. It seems a shame to separate the two when the two are so similar.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Having cared for my mother who had vascular dementia and currently caring for my husband who as Alzheimer's I can see both sides. Yes there are many similarities. I find the emotional side of things totally different.