What Has Everyone's Experience Of Banks Been During Lockdown ?

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hello Everyone.

How has your experience of banks been during lockdown? I am social distancing and using the ATMs and I am prepared to start using the Internet. However I now feel that I am being made to feel guilt about setting foot inside my local bank. I know they are looking after us, their colleagues and our money but I am asked
as soon as I enter do I need to use the counter. Today I needed to check on some money that had left my account which the cashier looked up for me after telling me that I could look it up on-line. My question what about those people who do not have access to the Internet namely the elderly? What should they do?

MaNaAk

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Hello Everyone.

How has your experience of banks been during lockdown? I am social distancing and using the ATMs and I am prepared to start using the Internet. However I now feel that I am being made to feel guilt about setting foot inside my local bank. I know they are looking after us, their colleagues and our money but I am asked
as soon as I enter do I need to use the counter. Today I needed to check on some money that had left my account which the cashier looked up for me after telling me that I could look it up on-line. My question what about those people who do not have access to the Internet namely the elderly? What should they do?

MaNaAk
In my experience with my bank they were very short tempered and rude.
My mum is elderly and having problems getting to pay bills(post office in village closed and now the mobile post office has stopped coming) She doesn’t have the internet so although she can get cash out from the ATM she likes to pay cash for her bills. She won’t use her card over the phone. So if they close she is going to be really stuck(she doesn’t trust the internet ).Dad who is the PWD is on the internet for banking(me LPOA) . He wouldn’t know how to use it if he had it tbh..

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Whilst my bank weren't short-tempered I feel today was borderline rude from one cashier. Yes I know they do a stressful and difficult job but I assume they want to see us again when this is all over. Also the elderly like your mum will be more vulnerable using machines. My bank went open-plan at a time when they're ATMs were emptied one night and this didn't put them off! If they weren't open-plan they would be more secure from this virus and criminals.

MaNaAk

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Whilst my bank weren't short-tempered I feel today was borderline rude from one cashier. Yes I know they do a stressful and difficult job but I assume they want to see us again when this is all over. Also the elderly like your mum will be more vulnerable using machines. My bank went open-plan at a time when they're ATMs were emptied one night and this didn't put them off! If they weren't open-plan they would be more secure from this virus and criminals.

MaNaAk
Exactly!

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Also what about PWDs because before diagnosis dad could still do some banking but he kept forgetting pin numbers will
cashiers really start treating them like this?

MaNaAk

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Also what about PWDs because before diagnosis dad could still do some banking but he kept forgetting pin numbers will
cashiers really start treating them like this?

MaNaAk
It seems to be. They treat people like you are something on their shoe. It is just as well I do dad’s finances.He would stand no chance. But for other people it is going to be a nightmare!

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
They may find that they pick on the wrong person and if I find them talking to an elderly person like this I may say something.

MaNaAk

DianeW

Sep 10, 2013
Lytham St Annes
I am sorry you have had poor service from your banks, rudeness is not acceptable, I have never experienced this with any of my banks and have always been treated courteously.

However just thinking about it from their side a minute, I think staying open for people that really do need them and have absolutely no other option than to go to the bank is the right and proper thing to do.

But.......on lots of occasions I have been to the bank prior to these very unprecedented times, I have been behind lots of people that have queued up for minor reasons, and that’s fine...the bank are happy to help, but in these times the staff are only trying to lower the risks to themselves, it’s so worrying, it’s only natural they are trying to be safe, whilst providing a service.

I think by asking that question it’s only from a safety perspective, because some peoples perspective of essential business is very different than the reality.

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
I agree with @DianeW . Please do not go into banks and building societies unless it is absolutely necessary, if you are able to use online banking please do so for everyone's safety.

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
I do online banking but I need to put cash in sometimes. My mum cannot use the internet banking.
Most banks and building societies have a machine inside where you can deposit cash and cheques without going to the counter.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I understand them wanting to protect themselves but they don't really seem to want anyone using the machine inside either. I wonder whether they should wear masks.

MaNaAk

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Using an ATM is high risk due to the number of people who will have touched the buttons, and handing over cash & receiving change when buying things is also a higher risk than using a debit card. A lot of shops now seem to be asking for card payments rather than cash.

I can understand the bank staff wanting to minimise the risks to themselves and their customers whilst balancing this against still being open for those who absolutely have to go there. Many people are worried and stressed about the current situation but it doesn't excuse rudeness, if that's what's happening.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I agree. This pandemic is a nightmare for those of us who are still carers on this forum but it must be a nightmare for people who suffer from conditions such as OCD or those who are suffering domestic abuse.

MaNaAk